UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 17th Apr 2019, 1:44 pm   #1
theschoolmaster
Diode

Default Marconi TF2331 manuals wanted.

Hi.

I have just joined this forum, and am looking forward to expolring what looks to be a fascinating and useful resource. At the moment I am asking for help.

I have just obtained a very tatty example of a Marconi TF2331 Distortion Meter, and in order to use it properly I really need a User Manual. Ideally I would also like a Service Manual, as it almost certainly will need servicing, maybe repair. Can anyone assist at all with either of these?

I noted that a forum user reddish75 in 2017 had one for sale, and in a response to the thread, user Diabolical Artificer said that manuals were available on-line. I haven't however managed to find anywhere that can help. Any ideas?

Many thanks.
theschoolmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2019, 2:10 pm   #2
Timmus66
Triode

Default Re: Marconi TF2331 manuals wanted.

Hello, I have sent you PM.

Tim
Timmus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2019, 8:34 am   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Hopefully Tim will sort you out. looked online and couldn't find a manual either as a free download but Mauriton has em for 12 - https://mauritron.ecrater.co.uk/filt...F2331&x=61&y=8

Essentially this is how you test for distortion, get a sig gen with low THD, less than 0.01 if poss, 0.1 at a push. Feed a 1khz signal into your DUT (device under test) an amp say. Connect the OP of the amp into a 8 ohm dummy load, and take this signal and feed it into the IP of the TF2331 at step 6, see below, the voltage can be 0-30v RMS, however the meter will not deflect to FSD at low voltages, can't remember exactly. If your OP from the amp is over 10v, select the input range SW to 10-30v.

Now, 1) set SW next to the IP jacks to Hi Z.
2) set frequency to red B 2khz and set the nulling dial to red 100.
3) Set freq balance to 12 o'clock and set phase balance to 5 turns, IE half way.
4) Set function SW to "set reference level" and set the knob over on the right to Ref level.
5) set "set ref level" knob top left to the left, EG low volume.
6)connect sig to the input, slowly turn the knob in step 5 till you get 100% on the meter.
7) set function knob to reject fundamental/20kc's, noise etc.
8) turn dial so that the meter needle goes down, IE to the left, once it's near 0%, click the knob on the left which is still set at ref level one click to the left, IE to 30%, reading off the % scale far left.
9) the needle will go up after step 8, now you still turn the dial, so the needle drops, clicking the % knob down in % as you go till you can't get any lower.
10) Now use the freq and phase balance knobs to get it as low as you can, it's a good idea to monitor the OP on a scope.

That's it pretty much, though there are a few other steps I've not mentioned like calibrating the meter, but if you can follow those steps, you should get a feel for the DFM. I have one and after some use, I quickly got the hang of it.

Hope that helps, if Tim can't help I have a manual I could scan.

Andy.
Old 18th Apr 2019, 6:55 pm   #4
Timmus66
Triode

I did manage to find a manual online in PDF format for the OP, I sent him the link in a PM as I was unsure of the rules about posting external links to other peoples sites on the public forum, If this is allowed I can post the link here to aid others in any future searches.

Tim
Old 18th Apr 2019, 7:39 pm   #5
AC/HL

If it's openly on the internet there's no problem with posting a link.
Old 18th Apr 2019, 7:56 pm   #6
Timmus66
Triode

Thank you, This is where I found it under the Marconi directory along with other possibly useful manuals.

http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals

Tim