UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2019, 7:36 pm   #1
martin.m
Hexode

Default Sony TC250A

This machine has been on my "round tuit" pile for 5 years and I don't know where to start with it. Playing back a known good tape, one channel is off and the other is lower than it should be. The heads look in good shape and they aren't open circuit. The circuit board looks like something from an early 70s market stall radio and would be very difficult to work on in situ. On the positive side, the instruction book contains a circuit diagram and there are no ICs. Each audio channel uses four transistors, with the power supply and bias oscillator on a separate panel. I was going to change the electrolytics on the audio panel and hope for the best. This tape recorder is probably not "hi fi" quality but it would be nice to get it working again. Does anyone know how old these machines are or have experience of repairing them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony TC250A.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	183423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony TC250A chassis.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	183424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony TC250A cct board.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	183425  

Last edited by martin.m; 19th May 2019 at 8:00 pm. Reason: More information
Old 19th May 2019, 8:31 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony TC250A

First things first: clean the rec/pb slide contacts, track selectors, output pot etc etc. with servisol. Move back and forth 20'30 times. Then clean again.

I have done a few of these era sonys and generally the electronics is reliable. The mechanics tend to need serious and time consuming degunking! Check condition of idler tyres and pinch roller, if that is shot it will likely cost more than the unit is worth to repair.
Old 19th May 2019, 8:33 pm   #3
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The 250A is about 1968. Decent enough sound when it's working. Mac Hellyer covered this machine in Tape Recorder 1969/70. These are on the American Radio History website.
Old 19th May 2019, 8:34 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

I used to service these back in the 1970's, they go back further than that, mid 1960's.

Lawrence.
Old 22nd May 2019, 9:58 pm   #5
martin.m
Hexode

Thank you for your replies. I found a Sony advert for the TC250A dated 1966. The deck appears to be in excellent working order mechanically with no visible head wear. I will definitely have a go at fixing this machine, when I get the time of course.

Last edited by martin.m; 22nd May 2019 at 9:59 pm. Reason: typo
Closed Thread