UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2019, 3:12 pm   #21
telstar
Octode

Default Re: Decca PC/ML Console radio of 1939 find

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic 52 View Post
Thanks Mike, its interesting to learn that two build types were made. From what I can find out it seems that my PC/ML is a rare set. Yesterday I had a go at the field coil. I made up a coil holder cum winding rig on an old piece of chipboard and used a couple of re-inforcement straps to hold the reels. I cut out two hardboard 'caps' to mount the field coil. I'll post a video later but for now enclose some photos. Turning the reels by hand took hours & hours! I finally got to the break and of course they had to be right near the core! Two greenspot points, multiple turns were corroded, one of which had obviously burnt out with current. Cutting a long process short I re-wound the coil bobbin using my battery electric drill with plenty of speed control and care! By 11:30pm I had it wound. I now have to cover and re-solder the connection wires before re-fitting the hum bucking coil. This is not a job for the feint hearted! Does anyone know the gauge of this wire? I don't have a micrometer. Thanks.
Hi. Many thanks for your reply.
The American octal type was brought to me for repair, the pointer drive cord was broken - this was not shown on the manuals. The owner never returned to collect the radio either. The material that was incorporated in the back cover also suffered badly.
Hope you get your speaker sorted out
Cheers
Mike
Old 10th May 2019, 8:10 pm   #22
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi, wire gauge is probably 0,1mm or less

Ed
Old 10th May 2019, 8:52 pm   #23
Atlantic 52
Pentode

Hi Jerry,
I too saw that and thought it's not worth me spending that sort of money on a set I might not keep then lose money on. I plan to try it out next week, I just need to find the time!
Regards, George
Old 10th May 2019, 9:24 pm   #24
cathoderay57
Nonode

Hi George, yes, I know what you mean. Sadly it is going the same way with the cost of HT transformers, valves, especially magic eyes and audio types. Thankfully the folks on this Forum will often help out when they can, at affordable prices, or at BVWS events. Cheers, Jerry
Old 21st May 2019, 11:02 am   #25
Atlantic 52
Pentode

Hello to all looking,
I have finally got the set running after replacing 10 capacitors, the O/P Tx and rewinding the field coil and replacing a rather danerous mains lead. The set works well but I have a low level mains hum from the 10" speaker which is a little annoying. I reversed the hum bucking coil which did make it a lot better but its not quite good enough. Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to improve it? I am minded to add a few uF extra to C19 (8uF) but don't want to overload the R2 rectifier. Its also a real pain adding value due to stripping it all out again, especially that autotuner pack! The set can be seen running at https://www.***********/photos/atlant...7706885637031/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY3435.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	183534  
Old 21st May 2019, 11:44 am   #26
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Sounds great, I cannot hear the hum though.
Old 22nd May 2019, 8:55 am   #27
rontech
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Sounds great, I cannot hear the hum though.
A thought occurred to me that if you are listening on line via laptop speakers, I doubt if they would reproduce low level hum

I used to monitor my computer audio from the headphone socket into an old hi fi system with big loudspeakers. Surprising how good some online stuff can sound.
Old 22nd May 2019, 7:02 pm   #28
Atlantic 52
Pentode

Hello Guys,
The hum would probably be hard to hear due to my recording plus the listening set up your end of course. Its not bad but just a little irritating. You can get used to it but it nags. I'll try a few more uF sometime in the winter or a rainy day. For now I'm enjoying listening to it.
Old 22nd May 2019, 7:40 pm   #29
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I was listening through the monitor speakers.