UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2019, 1:14 pm   #1
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default 2 metre repeater anomaly

As there is very little traffic on repeaters nowadays, I leave my rig set to a repeater channel and see what comes up.

For about a week now I have been listening on 145.625 and have heard at least three repeaters only one of which I have been able to positively identify which is GB3MH from East Grinstead at quite a reasonable strength.

In the bcakground are at least two others, one has a womans voice announcing that 'this is GB3PB' at least I think that's what she is saying but I can't find any reference to it.

The other one is a gateway of some kind as I have heard VK mobiles conversing on it. I have not heard an ident from it as its busy most of the time and the signal is not very strong. The only one I can find on that frequency is Dover but that's a long way from here.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Peter
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 1:20 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: 2 metre repeater anomaly

Could be Dover, as there has been some strong tropo propagation ongoing over the past week, tropo has a habit of enhancing over-sea / along coast paths in particular although it affects overland propagation as well once the event starts to get really active.

Some repeaters are also 'net' connected, so you can often hear what sounds like Gateway traffic coming from a repeater.
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 3:16 pm   #3
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Answers to that might be found here.

https://www.ukrepeater.net/my_channel.php?channel=RV50
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 4:20 pm   #4
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Thanks for that Jon, at least it solves 'PB' that doesn't appear on my repeater list and its the nearest one.

I used to be able to work Dover in the good old days when the repeaters were on the TV masts but not heard it in a long time and its been here all week. Will keep listening.

Peter.
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 7:51 pm   #5
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

OK Peter - that web site is a useful resource for repeater info.

As far as I can see it couldn't solve the web connected one you are hearing though.
As you say it might be Dover or next most likely might be Helston from where you are.

Worcester (NW) is closer but as it is listed as non operational let's rule that out.
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 8:07 pm   #6
Scimitar
Heptode

MH was always the Malvern Hills repeater until the abusers got it shut down. I suppose our loss is your gain though!
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 9:52 am   #7
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I thought I had heard MH before, didn't know about the repeater being shut down though.

I think all these signals are coming from the east Jon as that's they way I'm beaming, I will switch to the colinear next time I hear it and check.

Peter
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 6:41 pm   #8
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Is one of the repeaters GB3NB near Norwich? I haven't listened there for years but I think it's still active on that freq. Should have an "F" for the CTCSS group.

Roger
Old 4th Jul 2019, 9:09 am   #9
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Can't get any signals from that direction Roger, dirty great forest behind me.

Peter
Closed Thread