UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jun 2019, 10:21 am   #41
Sparks
Heptode

Default Re: BBC "Sound"

I was listening to Pick Of The Pops on Radio 2 on Saturday. The volume was low overall and Paul Gambaccini's voice sounded echoey, like it was phasing. The records/CDs sounded much the same.
Old 17th Jun 2019, 9:20 pm   #42
Pfraser
Pentode

Question Re: BBC "Sound"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
I was listening to Pick Of The Pops on Radio 2 on Saturday. The volume was low overall and Paul Gambaccini's voice sounded echoey, like it was phasing. The records/CDs sounded much the same.
Hmm. Curious.

For anyone in the know: would that programme have been live, or pre-recorded? If live: would off-air monitoring be routinely done in the studio? For that matter: is it done for recorded programmes?

The low overall volume is a puzzle. I'd expect the audio processors at the TX sites to feature slow broadband AGC, which would compensate for a low-level audio feed. Perhaps the BBC use just one processor for the whole network and the problem(s) crept in further down the chain.
Old 18th Jun 2019, 9:01 am   #43
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I. too, was listening to Pick of the Pops last Saturday (15th. June) enjoying the hits of my youth (1964). Here in N. Oxon, the sound quality and volume level, both of Paul Gambaccini's voice and of the records, was, to me, perfectly .K. I was listening to the FM transmission from Sutton Coldfield on my Sony receiver and indoor ribbon aerial
Old 18th Jun 2019, 9:06 pm   #44
Sparks
Heptode

AFAIK, Pick of the Pops is a live programme. I was listening in West Yorkshire on 89.3 Mhz, most likely from Holme Moss. This is the only occasion I have considered the received sound to be substandard.
Old 18th Jun 2019, 10:36 pm   #45
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Just noticed a typo in my post, which should read 'and....was, to me, perfectly O.K.', but I guess most readers would have realized what I meant!!!
Old 9th Jul 2019, 10:43 pm   #46
nicam49
Hexode

Re the use of ISDN, I know that Radio 5Live's weekly link up with Dr Karl in Australia (between 3-4 am Thursdays) uses ISDN as presenter Rhod Sharp has referred to it on the past. However, Rhod lives in the USA so I don't know how that link-up to Britain works.
Old 13th Jul 2019, 8:08 am   #47
its ur aerial
Hexode

My understanding is OB went to contractors and the standards fell through the floor.
BBC Engineering standards were at one time second to none, even though they didn't pay
technical staff well.