UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jul 2019, 9:56 pm   #1
Jolly 7
Octode

Default Dismantled VCR component mounting etc.

Recently I have been dismantling some VCRs and came across a common theme of soldering. The power supply diodes haven't been soldered flush to the PCB and some of the larger resistors also have a gap between them and the board. Has this got anything to do with heat dissipation ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0013.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	186762  
Old 15th Jul 2019, 10:32 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Dismantled VCR component mounting etc.

Almost certainly, stops the board getting damaged and carbonizing in use.

Personally I would avoid reusing most components from the PSU as they lead a hot and hard life. The SMPS transistor is probably worth saving, plus any obscur schottky diodes etc. Forget the caps though.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 10:58 pm   #3
Jolly 7
Octode

Default Re: Dismantled VCR component mounting etc.

Thanks. I dismantled the VCRs for the BLDC motors, so anything else worth salvaging would be nice too. Apart from the semiconductors, there are some blue blob-like inductors and infrared receiving diodes that I might want to desolder.
Closed Thread