UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 30th May 2019, 10:05 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Exclamation Repainting scale back plate of a DAC90A

I've recently begun work on a DAC90A, and, among other things, I need to repaint the metal scale backing plate. The original paint is flaking off and my question is 'What would be the best way to remove all the paint? With tat completely removed, I could then either spray or brush paint a new coat of similar white paint. The rear of the plate is also partially tarnished, but I may either leave that as it is, as I'm not sure how best to proceed with that other than to possibly respray it it metallic silver or something similar. B.t.w, I don't have access to ultrasonic cleaners or anything of that sort.
Old 30th May 2019, 11:26 pm   #2
Paul JD
Pentode

Default Re: Repainting scale back plate of a DAC90A

With a small part like that abrasive paper and a bit of elbow grease would probably do the job as well as anything, start with a coarse grade to cut through the old paint and then use finer grades to get a nice flat surface to paint. Failing that you could use paint stripper (although with modern health and safety regs a lot of consumer grade paint strippers are not very effective - not like the old Nitromors that worked in seconds!) or depending on what type of paint it is cellulose thinners or acetone might remove it.
Old 31st May 2019, 9:32 am   #3
Silicon
Nonode

If the scale back plate is made of aluminium you need to use a paint stripper that does not contain Caustic Soda. It will corrode the aluminium.
Old 31st May 2019, 10:36 am   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The back plate is steel, Silicon, so no worries there, but I've removed some of the flaking white pain with what is described on the pack as 'Grade 5 Cabinet (sand)paper, used dry, so, either with a coarser grade or by damping the surface, I should be able to remove all the white paint by that method.
Closed Thread