UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2012, 5:57 pm   #1
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default Ekco 9 Octave

Hi, can someone post a pic of the valve line up for this player?
thanks
Old 16th Jan 2012, 7:19 pm   #2
Mr Moose
Octode

Default Re: Ekco 9 Octave

Hello,

The following from Gramophone magazine gives the information.

"The complete amplifier, less the power pack, is housed in a screened box measuring 7 in. by 4 in. by ft in. and is removed without disturbing any of the control knobs. The amplifier circuit consists of four stages using Mullard valves. As the Garrard record player has plug-in heads for monophonic or stereo discs, the input circuit of the amplifier has a three-position switch, the third position being used for external signal inputs. The necessary correction circuits for the crystal pickups are placed before the input valve which is one half of an ECC83 double triode. This valve has a gain control in its cathode circuit which is accessible through the control panel and is only used for setting the overall amplifier stage gain to a predetermined value. In the grid circuit there is a ganged twin volume control, the second part feeding a signal to the Ekco matching stereo unit SU341. The first stage is R.C. coupled to the second half of the ECC83 and between the stages are the variable bass and treble controls. Again R.C. coupling feeds the amplified signal to an EF86 pentode valve strapped as a triode and with equal anode and cathode loads. The third stage therefore acts as a phase splitter and feeds a pair of EL84 valves symmetrically using R.C. coupling. The push-pull output stage operates in an ultra-linear fashion and is designed to produce a power output of 8 watts peak. The power supply is mounted on a separate chassis with the mains transformer tapped for all voltages between 200 and 250 V. a.c. 50 c/s. A full-wave valve rectifier, EZ80, is used together with high value electrolytic capacitors. The resistance-capacitor smoothing is particularly generous for the hum level at full volume is hardly audible."

Yours, Richard
Old 16th Jan 2012, 10:14 pm   #3
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Hi, so is the valve line up (starting from top left) ECC83, EF86, EL84, EL84?
thanks
Old 17th Jan 2012, 5:37 pm   #4
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Hi, just to help the people who may be researching into this for me, it is an RP341
I hope I can get it sorted before I am bombarded with complaints about it being in parts everywhere!
thanks!
Old 17th Jan 2012, 6:45 pm   #5
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,

See attachment below. The ECC83 in the middle nearest the transformer and the EF86 in the middle further from the transformer and the two EL84s on the left side of the chassis with the transformer at the top.

Yours, Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rp341b.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	61315  
Old 17th Jan 2012, 7:00 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I think that will solve EF80's enquiry Richard. We'd just been in touch as I bought one of these through the Forum in 2008. He seemed to have worked it out the line up but I couldn't confirm it or get to the unit. so that schematic is excellent-where did you get it?. Is there more that you might put up I wonder, ie circuits, [I have the second unit as well] an operating manual or anything?
Cheers,
Dave W
Old 17th Jan 2012, 8:23 pm   #7
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello Dave,

If yours is an RP341 like EF80s then the service data is on Paul's CD or as an instant download from http://www.service-data.com/section.php/2142/1

Yours, Richard
Closed Thread