UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2004, 10:51 am   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default AVO 2 panel valve tester problems

Hi

I have an AVO 2 panel valve tester, unfortunately it has stopped testing diode and rectifier valves!

I've spent alot of time checking the contacts of the toggle switch to make sure they are doing what they should and I have checked the other switches too

When I try to test a diode or rectifer valve the needle in the meter starts to move ( as it should do ) I then set it to zero but when I press the toggle switch nothing happens!

Any suggestions?

David
Old 25th Jun 2004, 11:58 am   #2
Robert-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: AVO 2 panel valve tester problems

David -

I stand to be corrected because I'm talking from memory, but I think your AVO tester is OK. You don't use the toggle switch to test rectifiers and diodes - just turn the tester on and check them for emission.

(Again, from memory) - to test rectifiers set the mA/V switch to 100 and the anode volts to to " Rec " . The emission of each half (for full wave rectifiers) will be indicated at selector positions D1 and D2 - they should match and be of the order expected for the valve.

To check diodes, set anode volts to D and anode selector to D1 or D2, and mA/V switch to mA/V position. Readings should be greater than 0.5 and generally 2 - 5.

Hope this helps - any further problems post again and I'll dig out my tester and the instructions (anybody else, jump in if I've got it wrong!)

Robert
Old 25th Jun 2004, 1:24 pm   #3
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply. I must admit that I have never really used this much before! I'm trying to read the manual but it is not very clear. I think I'll have to wait till the weekend and have a play with it, unless somebody can confirm what you are saying is correct.

I will be very happy if your right but just a little bit silly

Kind Regards

David
Old 25th Jun 2004, 6:53 pm   #4
jmshep

If you mean that the instuctions you have are not too legible I can send you a good copy. E mail me and I will send you a pdf or word copy.
An extract from the manual for testing rectifiers reads as follows:

Rectifiers. To test rectifying valves for emission, set the mA/V control to “100” and the anode volts switch to “Rec.” Emission of each anode (in the case of full-wave rectifiers) will be obtained by setting the anode selector to “D.1” and “D.2” The emission of the two halves (in the case of full-wave rectifiers) should match within small limits and Can he compared with the figures given in the Valve Data Manual.

Diodes: These should be tested with the anode volts control at “D” and the mA/V control at “mA/V.” The anode selector switch should be at “D1” (in the case of a single diode) or at “D.1” and “D.2” in the case of a double diode. The full-scale deflection of the instrument is then 10 mA. Readings should he greater than 0.5 mA and in general it will be found that readings will be between 2 mA and 5 mA.

I wish my memory was as good as Roberts!

Old 25th Jun 2004, 10:45 pm   #5
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi jmshep,

Thanks for the offer but my manual is ok, I just wasn't reading it right!

I'm glad the testers ok though

Thanks to everyone

David
Closed Thread