UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Feb 2018, 2:27 pm   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default 1970s Ferguson radiogram.

Languishing upstairs is this Ferguson radiogram. The record deck is missing but apart from that it does work. There's a spare BSR P182 that could go in.

But is it worth bothering with? Has the usual 1970s nasty chip board cabinet.

Or, should I throw down the stairs?

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FergRG1.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	157910   Click image for larger version

Name:	FergRG2.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	157911  
Old 21st Feb 2018, 2:57 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: 1970s Ferguson radiogram.

A few years ago you would have had to pay somebody to take that away, but late model transistorized radiograms have become quite popular thanks to the 'vinyl' craze. I suspect you could get £100 for it in fully restored condition, maybe even more.
Old 21st Feb 2018, 4:02 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Hi David,
Floors have a load limit, with what you have stored on the floor is it still safe?
Old 21st Feb 2018, 5:03 pm   #4
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Frank,
Check out the problem I'm having clearing this space.
The radiogram will be given a reprieve, so instead of throwing it down the stairs I will carry it down to the workshop.
The P182 record deck has an ADC cartridge.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0014_001.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	157935  
Old 21st Feb 2018, 5:53 pm   #5
Andrew2
Nonode

Wow, it's amazing just how dated these things look now. There was one model that I still lust after though - the HMV Stereomaster. I think there were several versions, but they were all significantly smaller than the long, coffin-like standard ones and they seemed more nicely-finished.
A nice Garrard auto-changer and (IIRC) an FM-only tuner with either four or six presets. The sound quality was good too. Lovely, chunky things and I could just imagine one nestling under the front window.
Old 21st Feb 2018, 6:16 pm   #6
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Was the room used as a showroom at one time, the down lights suggest so?
Old 21st Feb 2018, 7:03 pm   #7
Studio263
Octode

Try as I may, I cannot see a single redeeming feature.

nice cabinet? no
complete and in original condition? no
well respected and desirable at the time? no
easy to repair (10 minutes or less)? no
easy to sell? heavens no
profit potential: zero (if you are lucky!)

My vote is for "bin it".
Old 21st Feb 2018, 7:31 pm   #8
paulsherwin

They are easy to sell now, that's the point. People want them for the same reason they want old record players with one valve amps, simply as a method of playing records. They are much better off buying a relatively simple transistor radiogram like this rather than a Grundig Arkansas from ten years earlier or a dreadful modern Crosley player.
Old 21st Feb 2018, 7:57 pm   #9
bikerhifinut
Octode

You're spot on there Paul.
I pass a local "Antique" dealer most fridays and he as often as not has some sort of radiogram at a fairly "creative" asking price.
I actually think that a nicely fettled up radiogram with a more up to date turntable in it, running a magnetic cartridge has something going for it, and probably wouldn't disappoint an average Joe with it's sound quality. The radio and amp sections were as often as not, at least acceptable sound quality?
A.
Old 21st Feb 2018, 8:25 pm   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

They are also easy to burn David.
Seriously as Paul says they are probably saleable these days. Everything goes around in circles.

That wallpaper looks like you have skinned some poor animal and pasted the end product on the wall.
Very 'Fleshy'.

I have a very nice Ultra [Thorn] AM/FM valve stereogram that also needs to go. John.
Old 21st Feb 2018, 8:45 pm   #11
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
They are easy to sell now, that's the point.
In theory possibly, but in practice its always a pain. The "buyer" never seems to have a car, or at least one big enough to transport the wretched thing, so they want it delivered. Then they want it carried upstairs, and no they can't help you because of some curious ailment, so you have to do that too. Then they never seem to know even the basics, so you spend hours running over the painfully obvious, over and over again. Finally the wretched thing becomes your responsibility for ever, so every time the stylus gets a bit dirty or a dial lamp blows they are one the phone wanting even more free advice, which you know will not be followed.

From bitter personal experience, it isn't worth getting involved.
Old 21st Feb 2018, 8:48 pm   #12
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

It's lasted this long, so I say save it!!

Stick a deck in it, add one of those little bluetooth / MP3 modules from China, put it on some spindly legs, then bung it on eBay for 300 quid..! Someone will have it!

Your store room looks like my shed, loads of stuff and no room to move! Lots of nice things in there though

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 21st Feb 2018, 10:07 pm   #13
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
The P182 record deck has an ADC cartridge.

DFWB.
A word of warning here - as far as I’m aware, ADC made no ceramic cartridges, so the one in your P182 will be a moving magnet. The amplifier in the Ferguson will be set up to use a ceramic cartridge, so you’ll either have to change the cartridge if you fit that turntable, or sneak a small MM preamp inside the unit.

The latter would be the better option, although still probably more hassle than the thing probably deserves!
Old 21st Feb 2018, 10:59 pm   #14
paulsherwin

ADC cartridges were pretty good. If the stylus is in good condition then it will fetch a decent price, especially if it's one of the VLM or XLM models.

For a radiogram I'd just fit one of the red Chinese cheapies.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 2:33 am   #15
Techman
Dekatron

I agree that there is now a market for these type of radiograms.

I also agree with the comments that you are likely to have to deliver it to the buyer and perhaps show them how it works and also go back to fix it if it goes wrong at sometime in the future, but you can make this chargeable if it's after a reasonable length of time.

True story - I hardly ever sell things but I bought one of those long, low, 70s radiograms from a local auction a year or so ago. I shouldn't have bought it really, but I thought it would be good for parts with its Garrard deck and magnetic cartridge. Unfortunately, it was too good to break, so I fixed the fault on one of the amp channels, serviced the deck and fitted another stylus to the Goldring cartridge. I found a buyer in the shape of a local(ish) radio operator which did involve me having to deliver it, however, he did help me carry it from the estate car into his house. A while after, he informed me that something had been spilt on the top of the cabinet and could I advise him on what to do to repair the damaged varnish. I said I'd pop over and see what I could do, but before I got round to going he decided that it was too big for his room and with the cabinet now being damaged, had removed the innards and scrapped the cabinet. He told me he was going to build the radio, amp and speakers into a smaller cabinet. A while later he told me that he'd decided not to bother with this idea and that all the electronics, the speakers and the record deck were out under his car port and that if I wanted them I could have them if I wanted to go down and collect them, which I did.

So to sum up, I bought it, fixed it, sold it and actually made a small profit, then got all the innards back to use for spares, so it was 'win win' all the way

Shame about the death of a radiogram though
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 12:49 pm   #16
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Nuvistor wrote: "Was the room used as a showroom at one time, the down lights suggest so? "
Hi Frank, It was poodle parlour for a while.
The Ferguson radiogram will be granted a reprieve and returned to full working order. That being so it will be carried down the stairs rather than thrown down.
I've found three cabinet legs and the search is on for the missing one.
The cabinet itself is in good condition and will just need a good clean.

HKS wrote: "That wallpaper looks like you have skinned some poor animal and pasted the end product on the wall.
Very 'Fleshy"'.
Hi John,
I didn't chose that awful pattern but I can assure you no animals were harmed during the preparation of the wallpaper.

DFWB.

Last edited by FERNSEH; 22nd Feb 2018 at 1:02 pm.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 1:15 pm   #17
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Having visited a thread started by a member who posted great photos of domestic gear in a Swedish junk/retro shop, I could see just what excellent modern Scandanavian cabinet styling was being aimed at in the sixties and seventies after the basic post war UK utility designs. Sometimes excellent results, as with the exotic "Finlandia" Colour TV's rented out by Granada, other times maybe not but it would be foolish to smash it up, it may be some retro enthusiasts dream.

I read today that Milleniums have no sense of history, many believe that the assassination of JFK precipitated the Second World War, that Churchill won the First World War and know nothing of Napoleon or Waterloo [Abba maybe]. I could go on! In that context your RG is an ancient artifact David

Not funny though is it really ? We don't need George Orwell's 1984, neglect of the past has built our own Ministry of "Truth". I was amused by Studio [Tim's] complaint [in post 11*]. He was very generous with items he passed on to me. I turned up in a car and only rang him once but a lot of it is so similar to the "I've just bought a Radiogram" etc threads familiar to Forum members on a regular basis. I'm sure this retro bargain will be up and fully running with a 10 year guarantee

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 22nd Feb 2018 at 1:25 pm.
Old 25th Feb 2018, 3:27 pm   #18
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Still can't start work on the radiogram, that missing leg hasn't been found yet.
It's in the shop somewhere.

DFWB.
Old 25th Feb 2018, 4:58 pm   #19
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Someone will probaly have something suitable if it's "walked off", maybe me? I'm sure I've got some singles in Rammy if not here on the Costa Del Bexhill.

Dave W
Old 25th Feb 2018, 5:10 pm   #20
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Dave,
things seem to go missing in that shop. I've completed the alignment the MRG radiogram only to discover the chassis baseboard has gone missing.
It's an easy part to replicate. Do that and the original will turn up.

DFWB.
Closed Thread