UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jun 2016, 12:37 pm   #1
Old-Git
Diode

Default Seeking manuals for old WWII British Army Phones and Switchboard

Hi All,

I've got a couple of 1939 dated Set D, Mk V telephones and an old 6 line switchboard that I'd like to get up and running. Any advice on either would be much appreciated and any copies of manuals for either would be wonderful, I don't care if they're originals, photocopies or PDF's just want to read up on these. Below are some pics of the switchboard, various markings indicate that it's a GEC Universal 6 line switchboard, serial no 733. I have a couple more pics and I'll upload these in a follow-up post in a few moments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch-1_zps4drekwqh.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	125931   Click image for larger version

Name:	switch-2_zpss1m47w2t.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	125932   Click image for larger version

Name:	switch-3_zpsyhqcnmss.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	125933   Click image for larger version

Name:	switch-4_zpsmxqytpxx.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	125934   Click image for larger version

Name:	switch-5_zpsq2bpiaqy.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	125935  

Old 12th Jun 2016, 7:17 pm   #2
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Seeking manuals for old WWII British Army Phones and Switchboard

I don't think I've got my copies of the manuals but you may get some info from here http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/line.html .

The switchboard came in two sizes 'Switchboard, Universal Call, 10 line' and the smaller less common version 'Switchboard, Universal Call. 6 Line'.

The telephones on the extensions could call the exchange with 'buzzer' calling from the likes of the Tele D MkV or with magneto calling from Tele F, H, L, J and the like. Yours appear to be missing the line cords with their pulleys. On the 10 line version they were contained in a separate box affixed to usually the RH side of the switchboard. There was also a 4.5 volt battery required to light the lamps and ring the under-dome 'night bell' when a call came in. A relay would operate to the rectified AC from the incoming call and it would lock in until cord was plugged into the jack of that line to answer the call.

I used to have a rare unit which attached to the left hand-side which allowed one or two lines to a public exchange to be connected - if necessary a dial could be plugged into the unit if the public exchange was automatic.

I remember that we had a 10 line UC switchboard whilst I was 'playing soldiers' - I was a very young Royal Signals 2/Lt and I was serving with none other than the Earl Kitchener of Khartoum - shows how long ago!
Old 12th Jun 2016, 8:36 pm   #3
Old-Git
Diode

Hi Pellseinydd,

thank you for the detailed reply, I do have other bits and pieces that came with this setup; it came as a lot from a provincial theatre where it was used for backstage comms so it did all work at some stage.

I shall have a search through the ancillary pieces to see if I can identify any 'line cords with pulleys", there's a box that was attached to the side which does have a lot of stuff inside and there's also an aluminium battery box, sans battery. Good to know that I need a 4.5 volt battery for it though. I believe the Set D phones used a 3 volt battery so armed with both pieces of information I am in a better position to play around with it all!

Below are a few more pictures of the switchboard that I could not post earlier due to the 5 picture limit on posts. If I can get time to photograph the ancillary pieces I'll try to upload those to this thread.

Rgds
Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	switch-6_zpsf0yb5uit.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	125976   Click image for larger version

Name:	switch-7_zpsjd4ssgzs.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	125977   Click image for larger version

Name:	switch-8_zps1syhf9u2.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	125978  
Old 12th Jun 2016, 9:57 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

The Telephone Set "D" (and indeed "F", "J" and "L") do indeed run off 3V (unless you replace the transmitter inset with an electret - which needs a minimum of 4.5V). This would originally have been provided from 2x "Battery Dry No 12" - see image below.

For interest, I also include a picture (though, unfortunately, not the actual item) I have of a ten-line version of your concentrator, complete with cords.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	battery-dry-no12.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	125982   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 line UC A (1).jpg
Views:	683
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	125983  
Old 12th Jun 2016, 10:07 pm   #5
Old-Git
Diode

Default Thanks for those pics Dave, very interesting indeed. Time to start searching for sui

Thanks for those pics Dave, very interesting indeed. Time to start searching for suitable batteries methinks, any recommendations on where to look... other than the dreaded eBay?

Here's a quick pic of the ancillary pieces and the box they came in, alongside the aluminium battery box. Can't think why they've connected one of the leads to a bell but hey ho!

In addition to this I have five Set D, Mk V telephones, one of which still has the original brass plate with the aide memoir for the old Phonetic Alphabet, i.e. pre US involvement in the war (Y = Yorker, D= Don, etc.)

I think I shall drop a line to the Signals Museum tomorrow to see if they can help out with pamphlets for these, thanks for the link BTW.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	switch-9.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	125984  
Old 13th Jun 2016, 7:31 am   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

No. 12s (albeit long dead) do turn up on eBay from time to time. As I've mentioned before on the forum, the cell inside is almost identical to one quarter of a 996 lantern battery - so one such battery can be used to renovate four no. 12s.

As far as powering field telephones goes, the simplest approach is to stick a couple of "D" or "C" cells into a holder and wire that in place of the 12s.
Old 13th Jun 2016, 7:38 am   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

The cord at the right of your picture looks like the correct one for interconnections in your concentrator. Be wary of the modern ones you show - if they are fitted with standard 1/4" mono audio jacks, they are a little fatter than the proper switchboard plugs and may strain the terminals in the sockets.
Old 13th Jun 2016, 10:20 am   #8
Old-Git
Diode

Hi Dave,

Thanks for all the info, great stuff, especially the info on the batteries. Sadly when I received this setup, several years ago now, it came with those modern jacks so it's a fair bet that the Theatre folk were using them in the switchboard for quite some time. The chest microphone is dated 1939 so I'm assuming that this equipment was all bought, by the Theatre, in the immediate post-war period and had been in continuous use up to the point when the ubiquity of mobile phones made them redundant!
Closed Thread