UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jan 2016, 10:59 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question SONY Cassette Decks (TC-D505 & TC-EX90)

I've encountered similar problems with both these twin deck machines, which is that, after having dismantled them, removing and disconnecting the cassette mechanisms to replace worn drive belts and pinchrollers, i've found that only one of the two decks powers up and works. Because i had to order the neccesary parts before the work could be carried out, I removed the ribbon cables which connect the mechanisms to the 'motherboards' for two or three weeks, rather than reassemble them, then have to dismantle them again when the parts arrived. I couldn't think of any reason why leaving the machines dismantled, with the ribbons completely removed should cause this problem, as I'm sure I've done this before in similar situations without such faults occuring, but can anyone suggest a reason for this failure. The two machines use the same mechanisms, but with different means of connecting them to their respective 'motherboards', the D505 uses ribbons, whist the EX90 has multiway plug/socket connections at the bottom of the decks. Could leaving these connections 'open' cause sensitive components to fail>
Old 28th Jan 2016, 8:37 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: SONY Cassette Decks (TC-D505 & TC-EX90)

When checking the TC-EX90 earlier today ( the main drive belt had come off the motor pulley) I inadvertently unplugged the ribbon connector from the cassette deck with the system switched on. Having refitted the belts correctly, I re-installed the deck only to find that neither of the two decks will power up & run. (The moral of this tale is Make certain that things are switched off before plugging/unplugging devices. What has likely to have failed as a result of what I did? One deck wouldn't power up before this anyway
Old 29th Jan 2016, 12:10 am   #3
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: SONY Cassette Decks (TC-D505 & TC-EX90)

Probably a fusible resistor or something common to both mechs (b+) if neither work.

Also, if these are 'powered' mechs, the unit might act up if the mech is not in sync. Try hand cycling to neutral and check nothing binds.

Dirty 'cassette -in' leaf switch caused all kinds of weird faults (shutting off after a few seconds, not going into play, intermittently unresponsive controls, display oddness...) on a recent full logic Sony... I bridged it in the end.

Check also the ribbon cables are not cracked (these were always a problem in midi systems) and that the pins of connectors on the pcb are soldered well.
Closed Thread