UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Aug 2015, 3:07 pm   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Making replacement speaker backs

Hello

I suspect that there is a guide to this, but I have two questions...

Firstly, what is the best way to make a replacement back for an extension speaker?

I have just become the happy owner of a Radio Rentals 91 speaker thanks to a kind person who joined the forum to pass on some old gear, and all it needs (cosmetically at least) is a back.

I will be honest and say that my skills with a saw are limited. For that reason my next question is, if it does prove to require an amount of skill, is there anyone on the forum that can produce a back given the right dimensions?

Thanks as always

Martin
Old 26th Aug 2015, 4:44 pm   #2

Default Re: Making replacement speaker backs

Make a cardboard template first then cut some 3mm hardboard/MDF to that size and then fill with holes. You can cut 3mm board with strong scissors (leave a bit of slack) then sand with a sanding block to the right size. It might take a couple of iterations to get it right but is a lot easier the second time. Take it easy and enjoy the process.

Old 26th Aug 2015, 5:10 pm   #3
Martin Bush
Octode

Brilliant... Scissors I can do!

I had visions of endless wonky and flaky attempts.
Old 26th Aug 2015, 5:10 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Do you know what the original back looked like? Is there any evidence it had one, and if so, how was it attached and how thick does it look to have been etc?

Do you have an electric jigsaw? They're superb for this kind of thing.

Nick.
Old 26th Aug 2015, 5:31 pm   #5
Martin Bush
Octode

I know it had one once because Han (gwarpy?) Has one and sent me pictures. It is just like a radio back attached with screws and washers. The screws are in the case so I guess the back has been damaged and fallen off in the past. Inside it is in nice condition and the speaker is 'bagged' like on the Phillips set that's for sale on the forum

I don't have a jigsaw and can't really get one for a one off job. If scissors or a stanley knife with care and patience will do it I will give it a try. It won't be a work of art, but I should be able to make a decent job of it... I hope!
Old 26th Aug 2015, 7:45 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Where in Oxfordshire are you, Martin? I might have an old jigsaw around which you could have if collected. No promises though, I'm not absolutely certain where it is!

N.
Old 26th Aug 2015, 8:59 pm   #7
Martin Bush
Octode

Hi Nick

I'm in kirtlington, but I go all over for bits of kit. If it turns up send me a pm. The thought is appreciated whether it does or not.

Martin
Closed Thread