UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2015, 8:53 am   #1
Audiolab
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hacker Mayflower RV 14 Table Radio Cabinet cleaning?.

I have an original Mayflower with the rounded corners and am wondering if there are any tips or recommendations to bring out the original look of the outer wooden casing? Although it looks pretty good it isn't as high gloss as it would have been originally 55 years ago. If anyone has any suggestions they would be most welcome.

I'm guessing that the outer wooden case is lacquered?

Any advice? Although it doesn't look dull exactly I feel it could be greatly improved as when you move your hand across the surface it isn't as smooth as I think it should be.

Photo added to my photo gallery.

Thanks

Last edited by Audiolab; 2nd Jul 2015 at 9:10 am.
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 9:40 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker Mayflower RV 14 Table Radio Cabinet cleaning?.

Here's the pic: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...pictureid=3328

Looks nice!

In an inconspicuous area, try some Brasso metal polish, buff with a soft cloth, then use normal household aerosol furniture polish.

The badge's very front surface can also be carefully polished with Brasso to make it gleam.

Nick,
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 10:16 am   #3
petertheorgan
Hexode

If the casework is good but just slightly dull , I have always found it will respond very well to polishing with T-Cut which you can buy from a car accessory shop, that will give a lovely shine , try a little first though ,
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 11:08 am   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

Here's my method that is tried, tested and honed over 40 years.. In the final post on this thread (link below) I explain. BTW, appying T-cut to a previously 'untreated' cabinet may result in white streaks and flecks in any lacquer cracks that may be there, so Topps scratch cover polish first to get colour into the cracks. You can always apply it again should you use T-cut, but as I describe, something like Mr Sheen and a thorough polishing generally brings out a strong shine without 'resorting' to T-cut. I always reckon it's better to spend more time with a less abrasive method than it is to use a more abrasive one and maybe get a duller finish for your efforts - in short, don't underestimate a good polishing (plenty of elbow grease!) with a silicon based furniture spray.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=117029

http://www.rustins.eu/Details.asp?ProductID=797

It seems Topps is no longer available so I give here a link to the Rustins version. BTW, always try the shade lighter than what you think you will need as it can appear darker than you thought. There's light, medium and dark - it's worth buying all three.
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 6:40 pm   #5
Mark James
Hexode

My Hacker Mayflower II needed a bit more, I thought that I may need to refinish it but someone recommended I try HG Meubiline - it made an enormous difference and almost hid a very obvious cup mark. Very easy to apply. ( I have no connection to the company etc etc.)

Mark
Closed Thread