UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2016, 1:38 pm   #1
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Default Tele 312L - identity crisis?

I've just acquired a Telephone 312L from a local general auction. Didn't pay too much, and am delighted with it. A few jobs to do, but will give me something to tinker with.

There is some evidence to suggest that the phone may have started life as a CB unit, underwent a refurbishment/conversion by the GPO in 1964. The label on the base supports indicates that a refurbishment was carried out. The handset also carries a marking I haven't seen before, which suggests that the phone may have originally been used on a PBX of some sort. There is no connection at all between the Call Exchange button, and the phone internals.

Any theories or further information folks? I've attached a few photos which I hope will assist.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020541.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	123427   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020542.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	123428   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020544.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	123429   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020545.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	123430   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020547.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	123431  

Old 25th Apr 2016, 2:45 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Tele 312l - identity crisis?

The "Call Exchange" button would originally have been required for a party line. If the other party moved or cancelled their subscription, the remaining party's installation would have had to have been upgraded to a private line, leaving the button disconnected.
Old 25th Apr 2016, 3:00 pm   #3
Jim_746
Pentode

Default Re: Tele 312l - identity crisis?

Hello,

The handset markings - 164 PX 45/1 - indicate that it that it was manufactured by Phoenix Telephones & Electrical Works Ltd., London (their manufactures code later changed to PXA).

Regards,

Jim
Old 25th Apr 2016, 8:05 pm   #4
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Default Re: Tele 312L - identity crisis?

Many thanks. That's a couple of mysteries cleared up so far then!
Old 26th Apr 2016, 8:31 am   #5
giraffenigel
Tetrode

The Call Exchange button isn't connected because the workings are from a 332, not a 312 and there is no switch present, that's why the button is flush with the case.
It has probably been made up from two separate telephones.
Old 26th Apr 2016, 9:54 am   #6
Pellseinydd
Heptode

As I often point out, telephones around these days are very unlikely to be in original condition. Dealers in particular will often swap parts to construct a telephone which will fetch a good price to someone who just wants a 'nice' telephone rather than a collector. Websites cannot always be relied on for correct information. For instance one well known websites states that early 706 telephones had coloured dial finger plates/wheels but later ones were fitted with clear finger plates/wheels. No mention made that the clear finger plates/wheels were introduced with the Tele 746 which replaced the Tele 706 and that after that the dials available for maintenance purposes were ones with clear wheels. I never remember ordering a Tele 706 phone and receiving a brand new 706 with a clear finger wheel.

Hence don't assume that a phone today is in its original condition. The old GPO were one of the first 'green' firms in that much was refurbished by the Post Office Factories Dept from the very early days - look at the Tele No 2's which were rebuilt as Tele 150's!

Ian
Old 26th Apr 2016, 12:25 pm   #7
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Many thanks for your replies Ladies and Gents. What giraffenigel has said confirms my early suspicions that the workings were wrong; the plungers are also almost flush with the casing for the same reason. I have a correct unit among my bits and pieces, so I'll fit this. As Ian has said, most telephones have been altered to some degree by now, and there is certainly a lot of conflicting advice regarding the various specifications. Frustrating, but gives us something to occupy ourselves with, doesn't it?
Closed Thread