UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2010, 11:51 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question 27nf Capacitors in Philips N4418 Speed control Circuit-is the value critical?

I suspect it is, because the two originals are 1% tolerance 63v yellow polyester(or similar)types. These need to be replaced, but none of the usual suppliers list 27nf capacitors(well RS stock SMD ones-no good for this machine!). The caps. in question are part of a differentiating circuit, wired in series with 470 ohm presets, one for each of the three speeds, the 27nfs being connected in Parallel for 1.875ips, in series for 3.75, and only one in circuit for 7.5. The machine runs too slowly if 33nf-the nearest value I had-are fitted, so I'm thinking of fitting 22nf/4n7(10% tolerance) types in parallel. As I have just fitted 3 new Piher enclosed presets in place of the original skeleton types I don't really want to change those again. Am I correct in thinking that the 'worst case' tolerance of the above would be + or - 20%?. Does anyone have, or know where I can get, some 1 or 2% 27nf capacitors?
Old 14th Sep 2010, 12:30 pm   #2
AVO_VCM163
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 27nf Capacitors in Philips N4418 Speed control Circuit-is the value critical?

If you can tolerate two in parallel, I can match and supply totally FOC if you pm me with address.
Roy
Old 14th Sep 2010, 6:57 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: 27nf Capacitors in Philips N4418 Speed control Circuit-is the value critical?

I'm sure they'll be OK, Roy. PM to follow shortly
Old 20th Sep 2010, 9:44 pm   #4
david winter
Hexode

Even if they're a bit out of the original tolerance, don't forget that you have individual timers to adjust the speed. Unless I mix that with the 4417.

Also, beware of a serious design fault in the 4450, just in case the 4418 has the same bug which can erase your tapes: in the 4450, the erase head is enabled not by a mecanical switch as usual, but by a stupid germanium transistor flip-flop (AC127/AC128). If one transistor gets shorted (which happens after all these years), the erase head will be enabled even in playback mode. As a result, you hear the tape very shortly and then nothing...
Closed Thread