UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jan 2018, 9:50 pm   #1
terrybull
Octode

Default Interesting organ.

A friend sent me a couple of pictures of this organ he saw in a charity shop today. No make visible and I'm assuming the pipes on the top are just cosmetic, aren't they? Seems too much money to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	155278  
Old 11th Jan 2018, 12:14 am   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Interesting organ.

I would say it's a Conn, the 'pipes' were actually fancy speaker boxes, no forced air involved!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	conn.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	155293  
Old 11th Jan 2018, 12:44 am   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

'tis only about 1/8 of the new price (if that's what the $ price ticket is in the second post).

Edit: No, the $ price looks like a dealer's second hand offer price. So...., could be a real bargain for a cash strapped organ hungry congregation.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 11th Jan 2018, 7:39 am   #4
mole42uk
Nonode

If it still works!

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 11th Jan 2018, 7:43 am   #5
terrybull
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
'tis only about 1/8 of the new price (if that's what the $ price ticket is in the second post).

Edit: No, the $ price looks like a dealer's second hand offer price. So...., could be a real bargain for a cash strapped organ hungry congregation.
The price is £295.00 (uk pounds). I realise it is a fraction of new but I can't give away a Pentium 1 computer that cost the best part of £1500 and as for second hand car prices compared to new��
I've seen similar organs for £30 - £50. There seems to be little market for them. This looked interesting with the pipes on top.
McMurdo. I think you're right. Just checked eBay and there are a few on there. Nowhere near this price too.
Old 11th Jan 2018, 11:41 am   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

An elderly friend of mine had an even more impressive Organ Console about a decade ago [dark wood no pipes] within a room almost identical to the one in the photo! I think it's a generational thing and issues of space/styling etc-hence no real demand. We used to say that about Radiograms but so far, there hasn't been fashion to up-cycle these items by re-painting them in white or vivid colours.

"Charity" Shops are pretty much Corporate Re-Cyclers these days and have their own professional agenda. Ultimately they may have to refuse or throw a lot of items out in the end but maybe not organs. When challenged on pricing it's often claimed that there has been an "expert" valuation but that can make no sense. They've nothing to lose I suppose because someone mighty think "the "price is right" especially if they are influenced by how expensive these items were in their day! My late father in law was an accomplished keyboard player but someone in his family bought him an organ. He would not have been able to purchase one himself at the time. He left two behind which is wife still has. We may try to hold on to the smaller oner in due course but selling them? Overall it's supply and demand/auction rules.

My friend knew people in the Church of Scotland and her item was eventually donated to a grateful congregation there all the way from Lancashire. I think she may have even paid the transport costs!

Dave W
Old 11th Jan 2018, 2:41 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I would say it's a Conn, the 'pipes' were actually fancy speaker boxes, no forced air involved!
More info here: http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/ken...ConnOrgans.htm
Old 11th Jan 2018, 3:31 pm   #8
McMurdo
Dekatron

It's certainly a buyer's market for second-hand (no pun intended) electronic organs. Houses are getting smaller and a digital keyboard can be up-ended and shoved in a wardrobe (or in the wheelie bin/back of car) when little Felicity gets bored with it.

The organs sold by the thousands in the 70's are worthless, unless it's a sort that's been featured on any famous record, such as a Hammond tonewheel, Vox Continental or that sort of thing. It's a shame, as they're a work of art inside, particularly the Conn in the thread. All modular, each set of voices on its own boards, lovely switch gear, cabinet work and amplifiers. Hand-tied looms, rows of early ics and transistors.

Although not in the spirit of the forum, they are a huge source of useful parts
Old 11th Jan 2018, 3:39 pm   #9
Techman
Dekatron

They certainly have little value.

Back in the 90s I was given one by a then near neighbour when he moved house. Later when I moved house I managed to give it away again. A few years later my new next door neighbours tried to give me another one which I had to turn down. They did actually manage to sell it in the end and got £20 for it.
Old 12th Jan 2018, 9:30 am   #10
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I tried, unsuccessfully, to sell or give away my Orla Melody. Absolutely no-one would take it. I ended up dismantling it, but I kept the 12" speaker.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread