UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2013, 7:16 am   #1
audion_1908
Hexode

Default My Bush TV43 restoration.

I got a Bush TV43 for £30 but had to pick it up, I got some funny looks on the train on the way back LOL. I have been told it has been unused for 30+ years and set at the seller's work place.

it was in a poor state when I got it, it was missing its back cover and all the valves not hidden in a can! also it was full of dust and dirt, and all the rubber wires are perished, and all the contacts and valve holders are corroded

My aim is to get the TV working but not hide that it's been worked on, I want TO fit a Raspberry Pi and a solid-state drive as the media source.

The first thing I have done is take out the chassis and clean everything using cotton wool buds isopropyl and contact cleaner, it has taken 100's of cotton wool buds, as the dirt has set hard.

I have been replacing all the perished rubber wire with modern PVC wire one at a time, I have bought a EY51 as the one it had was chipped! The EHT plastic support was in bits so I have epoxied back together! I will have to see if it works with 10KV on it!

I have also been replacing all the wax caps with modern 650V ones, and the electrolytics as well, I am leaving the 2 large can electrolytics in place but unused, I did find one Hunts capacitor in the RF unit!

The RF chassis is a pain as some of the wax caps are very hard to get at, one is very well buried, also two of the ceramic red? caps used to decouple the heater chain where burned to a crisp. I have replaced them but some of the valve heaters may be toast.

I have also got a MERCURY 1100 valve tester that needs fixing, but when I get round to it I will test all the TV's valves except the EY51 that was sold as NOS? So should be OK TV.
What did the original power cable look like? I was thinking of using black rubber pond cable for the replacement power lead?
also the can for the ECL80 is missing will that matter much? and how do I find a replacement?

Last edited by audion_1908; 23rd Jan 2013 at 7:23 am.
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 8:44 am   #2
audion_1908
Hexode

Default Re: My Bush tv43 restoration

Some good news, it has its original fuses and thay are OK and I have a full set of untested valves.
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 9:40 am   #3
audion_1908
Hexode

I will take some pics soon, I sould have done some before I cleaned it.
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 11:13 am   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: My Bush tv43 restoration

Hi,
Ah, the memories! I had a TV43 in my youth when they had no value and I spent hours tinkering with it, knowing not what I was doing (luckily, I didn't twiddle the IFTs). I became aware of the concept of a live chassis a year or two before with the aid of an ancient Ekco console set and a cast iron radiator at school.
This was around 1967 at the hight of "Flower Power" & "Psychedelia" so, to make the set more "trendy", I painted the cabinet fluorescent orange, the tube mask silver and the bakelite speaker grille & knobs whatever else I could find in Dad's shed. Alas, no photos exist.
It produced a faint watery picture that could only be seen in a darkened room. The ECL80 field output/oscillator lived in a skirted ceramic valveholder for some unknown reason, but it didn't have a screening can. I quite often found that the valve had cracked across the base causing field collapse, but ECL80s were plentiful and cheap way back then.
The mains input was the usual two pin 5amp connector (I think) and the lead was flat twin brown flex.
Cheers, Pete
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 12:38 pm   #5
audion_1908
Hexode

hi, I have just tryed one of my 1930 bakelite 2 pin 5 amp connecters and it fits! thanks Tractorfan I was expecting some sort of custom sized power conecter, and I know all about live chassis thats why I could do with a back cover but I will get to that later.
I dont think I will be painting my TV lol shame you dont have a photos of it
I have just got another spare MAZDA NOS ECL80 from ebay £2.50, I want this TV to be working for a long time.

Last edited by audion_1908; 23rd Jan 2013 at 12:49 pm.
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 6:07 pm   #6
Colourstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by audion_1908 View Post
I want fit a raspberry pi and a solid-state drive as the media source.
Crikey, I must be out of touch. What on earth is a 'raspberry pi'? I've never heard of one of those.

I'm intrigued to know how will you be using it to provide a 405 line signal. Unless you are using a separate modulator is there not going to be some point where digital technology is going to have to meet valve circuitry?

You may be better off employing an Aurora standards converter for your signal source. That's how the majority of folk do it these days. Very easy and the television stays working the way Bush intended, with no modification required.

Anyway, good luck with the restoration.

Steve
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 6:34 pm   #7
MrElectronicman
Heptode

Nice find, good luck with the restoration.
Great idea to use a Raspberry Pi, it can output a variety of video signals, and is a good bit cheaper than an Aurora, especially if you are planning to use your own media.
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 8:23 pm   #8
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Further details Please re Raspberry PI ,poss a new thread?
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 8:42 pm   #9
audion_1908
Hexode

the raspberry pi is a very cheap $35~ (£22)~ credit-card-sized low power (3.5w) single board computer that has an hdmi and an rf output at the moment it can do PAL and NTSC but 405 line output is being worked on, but plan b is to get a Aurora standards converter to work with the raspberry pi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

I want the tv to look stock and I am not doing any great changes to the tv it will just have some extra equipment living in the case, it would mean I would not have to connect anything to the tv to watch a film or browse the net, and in the future someone could easly convert it back to stock.

for now I am fixing the obvious faults, and some of the safety problems.
in the short term I will use my pc to output 405 lines

Bush TV43 back cover or scans to make a replacement
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=90919

Bush TV43 LOPT problems
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=91762
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	300px-RaspberryPi.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	75303  

Last edited by audion_1908; 23rd Jan 2013 at 8:50 pm. Reason: missing t
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 8:49 pm   #10
Freya
Octode

Your still going to need a modulator though ?

Steve
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 8:53 pm   #11
audion_1908
Hexode

raspberry pi has an rf modulator built in, to work with NTCS or PAL tv's it just needs reprograming for 405 lines, not easy

FOTH on a Raspberry Pi
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=89055
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 9:04 pm   #12
Freya
Octode

I have my reservations the Pi will be able to do the job, with regards to the modulator i was meaning if you use a pc for supplying the output.
If you look at the stages the Aurora handles its amazing its all in a case that fits in your hand !

Stephen
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 9:28 pm   #13
audion_1908
Hexode

The Aurora is great, it looks to be the best standards converter out there, but its about $200 and it still needs a video source, like a dvd player freeview box, pc, PI ect. and for testing the TV I can use a standard deastop pc with cleaver software to output 405 lines using the graphics card and custon rf modulator, so I dont need the PI to output 405 lines for a wile, I still have to get a lot of work done first.

there is a lot of info on this site about using a PC as a source of 405 live video

Last edited by audion_1908; 23rd Jan 2013 at 9:42 pm.
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 10:25 pm   #14
audion_1908
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by freya2871 View Post
Your still going to need a modulator though ?

Steve
you where right the raspberry pi has a composite video output not rf so I would need an rf modulator, a small problem.
Old 24th Jan 2013, 11:59 am   #15
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
raspberry pi has an rf modulator built in
No it doesn't. It has a HDMI output for high-definition TVs, and composite video and stereo audio outputs for low-definition TVs. No RF modulator.

You could hook it in directly, downstream of the tuner (but then the Pi would be live, unless you fitted the TV with a huge isolating transformer!) or build a VHF modulator. Band I is not especially scary, if you've done RF work before.
Old 24th Jan 2013, 12:59 pm   #16
Jonster
Heptode

Raspberry Pi video output is 625 line PAL, and is not 405 compatible. You're still going to need an Aurora to do this.
Old 24th Jan 2013, 6:19 pm   #17
audion_1908
Hexode

some users of this site are working on 405 lines from the Raspberry Pi and the Aurora is plan B.
Old 24th Jan 2013, 6:45 pm   #18
G3JZF_John
Retired Dormant Member

I have just "won" a TV36C (TV 43 series)and will shortly be picking it up from the seller in Derby. I did not want a 23inch set so if it is in a poor state, I may break it up for spares.
I have just finished restoring a TV62 (14" bakelite job) and it is now working very well. When I got that one, it was very dirty inside and out. I had to re-wire much of it and replace the waxies. There was a short between the EHT rectifier heater winding and earth and the transformer was half melted. Fortunately, I was able to sort it out and it is now fine.
Regarding the Raspberry Pi, I have one of these and was hoping to use it to generate 405 video, but my son says it can't be done because the graphics firmware does not support this standard. I'd be pleased to hear how others do get on. John
Old 24th Jan 2013, 7:34 pm   #19
julie_m
Dekatron

There's a two-pronged attack on the Pi. Team A are trying to reverse-engineer the GPU, while Team B are trying to get the manufacturers to include a 405-line mode in the next "official firmware" release.

Personally, I think it's outrageous that we're expected not even to ask how the stuff we bought and paid for works; so I hope the reverse engineering effort wins out, just to spite the keepers of secrets.
Old 24th Jan 2013, 8:34 pm   #20
audion_1908
Hexode

Default Re: My Bush TV43 restoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
Quote:
raspberry pi has an rf modulator built in
No it doesn't. It has a HDMI output for high-definition TVs, and composite video and stereo audio outputs for low-definition TVs. No RF modulator.

You could hook it in directly, downstream of the tuner (but then the Pi would be live, unless you fitted the TV with a huge isolating transformer!) or build a VHF modulator. Band I is not especially scary, if you've done RF work before.
I could use two high voltage capacitors to isolate the raspberry pi from the tv and use back to back zener diodes to protect the raspberry pi's composite video output, and use a mains earth on the Raspberry Pi.
Closed Thread