UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2012, 11:59 am   #1
Bassette
Retired Dormant Member

Default Restoring a bakelite case.

Split from this thread as off topic:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=78030

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you any advise to offer regarding restoring a Bakelite case?

How can one bring it back to something like original?
Old 3rd Jan 2012, 12:48 pm   #2
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Re: Restoring a bakelite case.

Assuming no cracks and no roughness of the surface, Brasso metal polish with revive the shine. Bake-O-Bryte polish (paste, polishing, No. 6 as used on Bakelite telephones is also good but possibly after Brasso). T-Cut car polishing compound works well on really dulled Bakelite.

Personally I always wash cabinets - foam cleanser, hot water with washing-up liquid and a quick dry with a towel and a hair dryer, don't leave Bakelite wet for any length of time. It dries dull ready for polishing. Wax polish is not my favourite as it seems to leave a stickiness on the surfaces.

-Tony
I feel sure others will come forward with their suggestions too.
Old 3rd Jan 2012, 2:43 pm   #3
richrussell
Heptode

I found that the coloured T-cut works extremely well on very tired looking Bakelite, but they don't seem to make it in brown any more. If it's a dark brown Bakelite case, then the black one works well without darkening it too much. I did one of my Ferranti clocks with it, and it came up nicely.

These are a fine cutting compound (so take out the scratches making it look dull) combined with a mild degreaser, a wax based polish and a mild dye (which helps even out differences in fading across a car body panel for example).

If it's a nicely patterned Bakelite then I'd be tempted not to use the coloured T-cut, and stick to the plain stuff.

Ultimately it comes down to whatever slightly abrasive compound you like best - Brasso, T-Cut, Paste No. 6 etc., followed by some sort of wax or polish to seal the surface and protect it.
Old 3rd Jan 2012, 3:53 pm   #4
Bassette
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you both for the advice. This will be my first attempt at restoring a valve radio. I chose the case first then move onto the inner parts, those masses of dark corners and coloured bits scare me still of course, but I am determined to overcome the task before me.

Terry
Closed Thread