UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2011, 7:16 pm   #1
Mike Brett
Retired Dormant Member

Default Scratches on Grundig buttons

Hi
I have just got hold of a Grundig Satelitt 2100 which has not been cherished like it should have been. The main problem is the black top buttons are scratched and showing the aluminium beneath which makes it look rather scruffy.I assume this is some sort of lacquer. Any idea of the best way to restore this without disassemble. I vaguely remember in my camera days that they used to sell a black lacquer stick for touching up camera bodies but I have not seen this for ages. Any ideas of the best way to go about this.
Cheers Mike
Old 19th Nov 2011, 9:34 pm   #2
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Scratches on Grundig buttons

Depending on the depth of the scratch, how authentic you want it and how long you want it to last try an indelible felt marker, when done just rub gently with finger to blend it in.
I use a “sharpie” for minor scratches on black anodised aluminium as well.
I used the same on some black anodised alli on my boat, it is still slightly black after exposure to sunlight and rain for 9 months.
Mike
Old 19th Nov 2011, 10:55 pm   #3
Alistair D
Nonode

I would normally use crackle,s method which is also very good for black vinyl coverings. It might also be worth considering the Edding 780 paint marker. Not sure if this will be too shiny though.

Al
Old 19th Nov 2011, 11:39 pm   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

How about one of the little tubes of car touch-up paint that have a tiny brush in the top? Halfords sell them.

Barry
Old 19th Nov 2011, 11:42 pm   #5
Alistair D
Nonode

Or even apply the paint via a needle to control the quantity applied.

Al
Old 20th Nov 2011, 1:25 am   #6
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Sound like your 2100 has the, earlier, 2000 painted aluminium style buttons? If so, IMHO, the best solution would be to remove, strip and re-paint

David
Old 20th Nov 2011, 1:02 pm   #7
lastx33
Retired Dormant Member

Birchwood Casey make a product called Aluminium Black which is a black touch up paint for guns. I think there is a pen version too. I've not used it but have a titanium camera on which the previous owner said they had used it and it is a pretty good finish. It dries to quite a 'dark' black. I've used felt pens before on brass and titanium camera bodies with scratches and found they tend to dry with a purplish tint but it is okay on very small scratches.
Old 20th Nov 2011, 5:59 pm   #8
Mike Brett
Retired Dormant Member

Hi
Thanks for all your suggestions , I will probable try a few of these and see which works out best.
Cheers MIke
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 2:20 pm   #9
Red Studio
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post
How about one of the little tubes of car touch-up paint that have a tiny brush in the top? Halfords sell them.

Barry
I have a black Halfords touch-up pen for the car. It has a fine brush but also a pen nib so may be useful for fine scratches. I find it very tacky and it dries quickly so you don't get much working time. I frequently get lumpy or stringy results if I try to use it on too large an area.

What I have found effective on fine scratches is a Turtle Wax product which I don't remember the name of. It looks like a lipstick and is basically a wax crayon (black in this case) which fills up minor imperfections.

Mitch
Closed Thread