UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2018, 3:04 pm   #1
jaygiles69
Retired Dormant Member

Hello all. Thank you for being here.
I've recently bought a Pioneer CT5151 cassette player, and its OK, but as of late the playback has become worse and a little quiet on the right channel. After some cleaning and alignment its not much better, so I'm now looking at a complete head replacement. I'm asking if any one has any suggestions as to equivalent heads or where to source one from. The head has the part number of: RPB0270 / 4A21A .
Thank you.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 3:15 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Pioneer CT5151

If the head is worn, you should be able to see quite obvious ridging at the outer edges of the tape path. If this isn't present, then a faulty tape head is unlikely to be the cause of these symptoms.

You say you've cleaned the head, but have you demagnetized it? You should also check the azimuth alignment.

One channel sometimes does mistrack with odd cassettes, particularly old prerecorded ones. Have you tried a range of different tapes?
Old 20th Feb 2018, 11:54 am   #3
jaygiles69
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Paul. On closer inspection, there is some ridging. I have indeed tried demagnetising.
Old 20th Feb 2018, 6:01 pm   #4
MrElectronicman
Heptode

I had a Pioneer CT9R which I bought many years ago now. Very nice machine, however, the material used for the heads was very soft, presumably to get the frequency response.

I was able to get a replacement head assembly at the time, but now I think you too may have a problem in finding a head for your machine.

There were some places that would repair heads, but the last time I checked they had all disappeared.
Old 21st Feb 2018, 10:31 am   #5
jaygiles69
Retired Dormant Member

Is there a needed difference between 4 head and 2 head tape head?
Closed Thread