UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2017, 3:01 pm   #1
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Default Siemens ship telephone

I only got this phone, as I thought it looked interesting, the selector was seized and it was a job to get it apart, but with a little TLC and an impact driver it all came apart and looks to be in working order.
As I say, it all looks to be in working order, but not knowing until now that it is a sound powered phone, I didn't know this type of phone existed.
I gather it has to be used with other sound powered phones, would it matter if it was another make or model and can I test it, other than using a multimeter.
It did have the wiring diagrams inside, so that's one good thing.
But to be honest I don't know much it anything about this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1418.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	144712  
Old 18th Jun 2017, 3:44 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Siemens ship telephone

It should work to some extent with any other sound-powered telephone. The main issue is matching the output level of one transmitter with the sensitivity of the other receiver, given that there is no amplification.

I have a few of these sound-powered types (including a pair of ship's ones) and have found the results to be a bit variable - and, of course, without amplification they are never very loud, even when working properly.

If you have any spare telephone handsets available, you may even be able to get away with using one of these, but using a second receiver as a transmitter. The transmitter and receiver are usually connected in parallel on a single pair.
Old 19th Jun 2017, 9:21 am   #3
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Many people tells that when you have used sound powered phones for a while, it is easy to understand what the other end says, until then it may be a little difficult. As dave sayy, transmitter and receiver elements use to be equal, and in parallel, but I have used one with 3 wires, one common and the other 2 goes from a's receiver to b's transmitter.... The howler was connected so you got a howl in the receivers phones transmitter element.
Old 20th Jun 2017, 12:30 pm   #4
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

I find it a little strange that even though its basically a two wire system, the two wires coming in to the call indicator are heavy gauge wires and it states that they need to be run separate from the line wires.
Whereas the dynamo output seems to be outputted along the standard phone wires.
Old 21st Jun 2017, 6:12 pm   #5
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Not easy when we do not have any diagrams, I ll scan one from an old book. Probably not the right but it may be. The book is from 1953
dsk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	234.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	144826   Click image for larger version

Name:	235.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	144827  

Last edited by dagskarlsen; 21st Jun 2017 at 6:17 pm. Reason: testing
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 8:21 am   #6
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

I do have the wiring diagrams with it, it has an adjustable resistor for some volume control.
The black and read wire is the input for the ring indicator.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1421.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	144849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1422.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	144850  
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 4:19 pm   #7
dagskarlsen
Heptode

May you please scan or take a picture of the diagram?

dsk
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 4:30 pm   #8

Here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCgCSMq5Xpo a sound powered telephone in action.

Old 24th Jun 2017, 2:00 pm   #9
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

I have seen that series, most probably when it came out, I will just keep a lookout for another compatible phone to use with it.
I cannot seem to remove pictures from this site, so I will not be posting up the diagrams.
PM me for a copy if you wish.
Closed Thread