UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Dec 2011, 2:04 pm   #1
radiozero
Hexode

Default Has anyone tried to replicate Murphy A24 cabinet?

I'm thinking of trying to replicate a Murphy A24 radio cabinet. Has anyone tried this? Anyone know what type of veneer I would need? I have an A24 and will examine its construction and produce plans.

Thanks.

P.S. I think also I will make a "dinky" version.

Last edited by radiozero; 29th Dec 2011 at 2:25 pm.
Old 29th Dec 2011, 8:05 pm   #2
murphymad
Heptode

Default Re: Has anyone tried to replicate Murphy A24 cabinet?

The A24 Cabinet is veneered with a front apron of Birdseye Maple. The rest of the cabinet is Walnut veneered and the three wooden bars across the speaker are solid beech.
The edge of the front of the cabinet is painted black which runs around the top and either side. The inside of the speaker edge is painted red. There is no tint to the cellulose lacquer or staining to the wood prior to lacquer. This gives it the bright and distinctive effect from the contrasting veneers.

Mike...
Old 29th Dec 2011, 8:16 pm   #3
Silicon
Nonode

Default Re: Has anyone tried to replicate Murphy A24 cabinet?

On some sets the veneer on the central panel behind the knobs looks like 'birdseye maple'.
If I was going to make a replica I would choose a high quality veneer for that panel because it makes so much difference to the final effect of the cabinet.
Closed Thread