UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jul 2008, 6:21 pm   #1
wootv33
Retired Dormant Member

Default How to convert UK tv to US frequency?

Hi, I'm a new user to the forum.

I'm moving a UK television to the US and need to know how and if I can use it in the US. Do I need a transformer to do this?

Additionally, any other general info about converting other household appliances to US frequencies such as desktop, laptop PCs would be much appreciated!
Old 10th Jul 2008, 6:29 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: How to convert UK tv to US frequency?

It's almost certainly not worth moving a modern UK TV to the US unless it is multistandard. There are too many differences in standards. Even if you wanted to use the TV on a digibox you would still have problems because Europe uses an RGB interface via a Scart connector while North America uses a component interface.

A vintage 405 line TV could be driven from a standards converter like the Aurora, but you would need to obtain 240V 50Hz power from somewhere. This isn't just a question of using a transformer. The easiest approach may be to use an inverter driven from a low voltage DC source, but this won't be straightforward.

Modern computers are often designed with multivoltage switch mode power supplies so these may be OK. It depends on the model.

Paul
Old 10th Jul 2008, 6:30 pm   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Forget about taking the TV. Unless it's a full multistandard set it won't be much use in the US.

Much modern stuff, especially PC related, has universal power supplies. If it's marked something like 100V to 240V then just fit a US mains plug and you're fine.

The US uses 110V, Europe/UK uses 220V to 240V. For stuff that can't be switched to 110V (look on the back) you'll need a transformer. For rare bits of equipment that rely on the mains frequency (50Hz in Europe, 60Hz in the US) just forget about them unless you have a strong sentimental attachment. These might include some electric clocks, some gramophones and hifi turntables. A good solution here can be complex and/or expensive.

Don't bother taking anything that makes heat for a living. Kettles, irons etc. Just buy new in the US.

For desk lamps etc just fit a 110V bulb and you're fine. Except that you can't readily get bayonet cap bulbs in the US and most UK lamps use this fitting.
Old 10th Jul 2008, 9:50 pm   #4
wootv33
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks to both of you for your help. Might be back for more questions and much appreciated!

Haven't been able to find any info on this online and figured I would contact some experts and it was worth it! Only thing is my British boyfriend will be sad to know he'll have to leave his large screen TV on his move..!
Old 10th Jul 2008, 10:26 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootv33 View Post
Only thing is my British boyfriend will be sad to know he'll have to leave his large screen TV on his move..!
If this is a large upmarket plasma or LCD TV it *may* have component input via RCA phonos as well as an RGB Scart interface. It may also have a multivoltage, multifrequency power supply. You *may* also be able to hook it up using the HDMI high definition interface which I believe is a global standard.

It's all fraught with problems though, and a big WS TV will be a heavy and fragile item to ship. It's probably a better idea to sell it in Britain and get a new one in the US.

As this thread is obviously about modern rather than vintage technology, I'm afraid it is off topic for this section so I'm closing it.

Paul
Closed Thread