UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2018, 9:30 pm   #1
QUADGOD
Tetrode

Default Revox B77 mk2 hum?

I've decided to use r2r and purchased a Revox B77 mk2.
Works flawlessly apart from hum when you get within 3 feet.
I've no idea if it is meant to be silent or if a low hum is expected presumably from the transformer? I can barely hear it in a silent room from 3 feet away and nothing when music starts.
Also I assume a half track 3.75 and 7.5 model can only play the tape in one direction? I'm assuming only quarter track models can do that.
Thanks....
Old 19th Feb 2018, 9:46 pm   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Revox B77 mk2 hum?

There should be no hum from the machine but what you will get is a slight high pitch whine which is characteristic of these machines,.

Half track in stereo only plays in one direction, quarter track plays in stereo in both directions.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 19th Feb 2018, 10:13 pm   #3
QUADGOD
Tetrode

Definitely hum. Yes I noticed the high pitched wirling
Old 19th Feb 2018, 10:16 pm   #4
QUADGOD
Tetrode

Oops dog pushed me and I sent above message early! Any ideas what the hum is apart from transformer noise? Or is that like asking a mechanic what that engine rattle is over the phone?��
Old 19th Feb 2018, 10:27 pm   #5
QUADGOD
Tetrode

I've just switched on again and when placing my ear directly over one of the top vents it's actually more of a low whirring noise which makes that high pitched sign off when turning off so it's probably motor noise? Stabbing in the dark...
Old 20th Feb 2018, 11:26 pm   #6
jamesperrett
Octode

When you switch on the pitch of the noise should take a second or so to rise to its normal pitch. It should also change when you change speed.
Closed Thread