UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2011, 12:47 pm   #1
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Hmv 360 TRF(1935)

I purchased this set a few months ago, the guy I got it from had several sets in various states of decay, but this was the only pre-war set and looked to be saveable. I also liked both the size and look of it. I found out while carrying it to the car to be very heavy for its size!

The cabinet was very worn and scratched, the speaker cloth was in tatters, but the dial was in good condition and all the original knobs were intact, as was the back.

On removal of the back, it was covered with dust and looked to be complete, there was two pre-war cardboard Hunts 'service replacement' 8uF capacitors just lying in the bottom of the set. The original caps would have been a pair of large cans mounted on the seperate speaker chassis.

The wiring loom between the two chassis was crumbling, so there was no way I was going to power it up in that state!

I removed both chassis from the cabinet, removed the old loom and valves. Armed with a paintbrush and Hoover, I set about giving it a good clean, both chassis' cleaned up well, with no signs of rust, but the speaker cone had a small rip in it. This was easily fixed with PVA glue. I then set about making a replacement loom and fitted it to the set. I had a good look under the chassis and spotted that four replacement electrolytics dated 1951/2 had been fitted, other than that everything was original.

I cleaned all the valve pins and sockets, refitted the valves and powered it up via my variac, all heaters and dial light came up, but no sound, just a deep hum.

I connected a couple of new 10uF caps in place of the ancient hunts and tried again, this time no hum, but still no audio. On closer inspection of the N41 output valve, it appeared the getter was almost non existent. There was a rainbow effect where it should have been and on giving it a shake, it rattled!

I fitted a good AC2/PEN which bought the set to life, albeit a bit low in volume.

As this is a pre-war set, I always re-stuff all the caps, as six were not original. I was undecided on how to proceed, see this thread: http://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=75664

After re-stuffing the caps, the set was working well, a random check showed the original resistors were still reasonable, so time to start on the cabinet.

I removed the baffle and what remained of the speaker cloth and set about cleaning the cabinet with T-cut, it took a lot of elbow grease, but it returned the original shine. I then went over it with white spirit to clean any residue and gave it a dose of scratch cover, finally a good polish with beeswax.

I had a look through my meagre stocks of speaker cloth and managed to find a fair replacement, this was carefully washed, ironed and glued to the baffle.

The set was then reassembled, and left running while I gave the knobs a polish using T-cut, refitting these and the back completed the job.

This model uses the same 3 valve + rectifier TRF chassis as the rexine covered Marconi 235, the set works well on my longwire aerial, and has good sound quality. I particularly like the dial lamp/pointer display on this set.

Although the top of the cabinet would benefit from refinishing, overall it looks good and displays well, and most of all I enjoyed doing it.

Mark

The before photos.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	360-1.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	58089   Click image for larger version

Name:	360-2.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	58090   Click image for larger version

Name:	360-3.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	58091   Click image for larger version

Name:	360-4.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	58092   Click image for larger version

Name:	360-5.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	58093  

Old 2nd Nov 2011, 12:50 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Hmv 360 trf (1935)

And the after photos.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	360-6.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	58094   Click image for larger version

Name:	360-7.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	58095   Click image for larger version

Name:	360-8.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	58096   Click image for larger version

Name:	360-9.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	58097   Click image for larger version

Name:	360-10.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	58098  

Old 2nd Nov 2011, 1:40 pm   #3
ed731pdh
Retired Dormant Member

These sets are a lot of fun to play with, well done.
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 6:24 pm   #4
vinrads
Dekatron

Very nice, well done in getting the speaker cloth straight. I remember restoring one for a good friend of mine; the original finish on the case as come up a treat and the chassis looks superb.

Mick.
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 6:43 pm   #5
Mark the Mender
Retired Dormant Member

Nice one Mark! A lovely looking set is that.

cheers Mark
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 9:47 pm   #6
tedzed1
Hexode

I like that one, especially the tuning dial,
Well Done.
Old 4th Nov 2011, 12:05 pm   #7
mark pirate
Dekatron

I really like set's from the thirties, there is a real feel of quality construction, this particular set did not disappoint, EMI really did make solid quality sets.

Quote:
well done in getting the speaker cloth straight
The choice of cloth was limited, but I am pleased with the look of the set now, the original was glued to the cabinet. The replacement was fitted to the speaker baffle, as this was nice and square, it made the job easier to get it straight and taught. I fixed it using contact adhesive.

Quote:
I like that one, especially the tuning dial
The dial is unusual, it does look attractive when lit up. I think is a nice looking set, and is nice and small compared with other sets of this era, I am now on the lookout for its brother, the Marconi 235.

Mark
Old 4th Nov 2011, 6:55 pm   #8
howard
Nonode

Default Re: Hmv 360 TRF(1935)

Well done Mark

And what an attractive design !

Howard
Old 5th Nov 2011, 12:42 am   #9
Dave757
Heptode

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the model number of the
radiogram version of the Marconi 235?

It was this beast that led me down the slippery
slope to a lifetime's interest in radio when I was
a child in the 1940s.

Kind regards
Dave
Old 5th Nov 2011, 10:30 am   #10
Retired
Heptode

Hi,

What a transformation Mark; very well done indeed; it would enhance any collection. The speaker cloth makes a tremendous difference to its appearance and suits it well.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 5th Nov 2011, 11:41 am   #11
ed731pdh
Retired Dormant Member

Has this one got the Droitwich rejector fitted, or is just a plain TRF?
Old 8th Nov 2011, 3:30 pm   #12
Ronald070
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave757 View Post
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the model number of the
radiogram version of the Marconi 235?

It was this beast that led me down the slippery
slope to a lifetime's interest in radio when I was
a child in the 1940s.

Kind regards
Dave
Hi there, the radiogram-version is the Marconi 245. Look here for some pictures:

http://www.***********/photos/8205730...7622821362559/

and here for a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-00CCgZQDIw
Closed Thread