UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2007, 5:42 pm   #1
GJR 11L
Heptode

Default Green Hacker Sovereign (suede) cleaning?

Afternoon All.
I just had my latest Sovereign delivered today and generally it's a corker, the fragile dial markings are intact, the thing works well and it's tempting to put it straight into frontline service since I've been after a Sovereign III for a very long time but.....

As I knew when I bought the set, the suede is rather flat and lifeless so the question is, has anyone ever had any suede footwear or other items, a radio even? Yes? Good, then how on Earth does one clean the stuff properly without destroying the surface?

I'm told that a brass-bristled brush can bring up the knap nicely, and the suede on there is certainly thick enough to take a risk with in an unseen area such as the inside of the cabinet, but of course the suede hasn't become tired on the inside, and I obviously don't want to damage the external covering .

Should I risk a brush? Is there some product that can be used to keep the suede looking good once cleaned and brushed? Would I have been better getting a black vinyl and bare wood set to begin with?

I'm totally inexperienced with suede, I had a pair of boots made from it, but they pretty much kept themselves clean and I cannot recall ever having treated them with anything during their ten year lifespan!

So, leave it alone or go for it and give the green suede a spruce-up?

What say you?

Old 23rd Oct 2007, 6:00 pm   #2
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Re: Green Hacker Sovereign (suede) cleaning?

Brass bristled brushes can tear into suede and make it, either, hairy or bald if used too roughly.

Use a nylon, rubber or crepe brush used for cleaning nubuck leather instead

David
Old 23rd Oct 2007, 6:20 pm   #3
GJR 11L
Heptode

Thanks very much David,

I actually have a brush somewhere that was intended for Nubuck-style surfaces on furniture.

No good asking on the forum where that went though, I'd best get searching.

So obviously the "Stand it outside on a rainy day" technique that works for boots won't be needed here then.
Old 23rd Oct 2007, 6:44 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I've been happy with the results of a cleaning spray (unfortunately mislaid for the time being, so I can't quote its identity) and brass-bristled brush on my Sovereign III: but, yes, some of the surface falls away and a light touch is needed. Prevention's far better than cure, and I'll just be taking care that my set doesn't accumulate further stains or abrasion. A suede Roberts Revival here is seven or eight years old now and looks very much as new without having required any maintenance. Oh, and you may want to keep your set out of the sun, or it could turn into this even rarer grey version...

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006_09270036B.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	12996  
Old 23rd Oct 2007, 7:06 pm   #5
HG MICKE
Pentode

The best thing I have found for cleaning Suede is a cleaning block for shoes , it is called Meltonian Suede & Nubuck cleaning block made by SARA LEE , it does'nt damage the surface and works extremely well. Can be found in hardware shops.

Colin
Old 23rd Oct 2007, 11:28 pm   #6
GJR 11L
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
it could turn into this even rarer grey version...

Paul
This may be an ill-judged thing to say, given that these things are quite uncommon, but the grey rather suits it! The green does too though, so out of the sunlight she shall be kept.

Colin, thanks for the suggestion regarding a cleaning product, I shall seek out one of those at some point.

Now, does anyone know just how much effort can be put into cleaning that dial surface? It has no damage and no worn or missing print and I quite fancy keeping it that way.
Old 24th Oct 2007, 12:30 am   #7
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I don't think any of mine have suffered at all by my cautious use of an ordinary cheap mildly detergent furniture spray (currently "Miraglo", but I've used many others) with a soft cloth, applying absolutely no elbow grease other than on the odd discoloured spot away from all lettering. I'd guess any regular cleaning routine would take its toll on the lettering quite rapidly, so after the first grime removal session all mine are likely to meet for years is an occasional soft dry duster. Just don't let the scale even see any metal polish

The vendor of mine wasn't too impressed with the suede ("carpety material" I think he called it), and most of the set is so completely grey that I wasn't at all sure it hadn't been intended that way until an examination inside and underneath the cabinet informed me otherwise. At least the dial print is evidently proof against sunlight, since that on my set is just about perfect too.

Paul
Old 28th Oct 2007, 10:35 pm   #8
GJR 11L
Heptode

Just a note to thank all of the members who offered advice here. I eventually used a combination of techniques and the finished set can now be seen in the appropriate section of the board.