UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Aug 2018, 5:10 pm   #1
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Default Murphy A188C veneer damage.

Hi.
I'm after some advice (please) regarding a missing piece of veneer to the bottom left of a Murphy A188C console radio.
The whole of the front (at least) will require refinishing (stripping off old, damaged varnish) but it's the missing veneer which concerns.
Having no experience in this area, what would be considered the best (least obvious) method of repair?
I believe the veneer used on the front is American Walnut (The top is Burr Elm).
Dimensions of cabinet front are 76cm vertical, 67.5 horizontal.
Dimensions of damaged area (approximate) 2.5cm vertical, 3.5cm horizontal.
Images attached.

All input appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whole.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	167876   Click image for larger version

Name:	damage.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	167877  
Old 20th Aug 2018, 5:42 pm   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Murphy A188C veneer damage.

Try to match the veneer, won't be easy.
If it comes out glaringly obvious, level it out and paint a black band right across the bottom. Murphy were fond of the dark brown or black paint on ends and edges of their sets, so its not without a precedent.
Not original but sometimes you have to do the second best. Veneering he whole front would be an epic job.

My A188C had lost a top corner, I pieced in a slice of burr walnut, didn't know it was elm, but it looks acceptable, just slightly dark.

Fantastic sets but they do take up a bit of space!
Old 20th Aug 2018, 7:19 pm   #3
John10b
Nonode

Default Re: Murphy A188C veneer damage.

I worked for a Murphy Dealer, when serving my apprenticeship back in the 50,s.
We had most of the models in stock and my memory of these sets was beautiful cabinets and wonderful sound.
Boatersam gives you good advice, you could also read the various posts on cabinet care and repair, which I found very informative.
Cheers
John
Closed Thread