UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2018, 11:02 pm   #41
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Ever Ready (Leclanché) Cell

We studied this at school 50 years ago, but I think our textbooks were considerably older than that.

For example, in the description of a dry cell, the carbon rod was surrounded by a muslin bag containing manganese dioxide.
In all the zinc-carbon cells I subsequently dismantled, man and boy, I never found one having that construction.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 10:57 am   #42
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Ever Ready (Leclanché) Cell

I associate the muslin bag with the wet Leclanché cell. I don't think it was needed in the dry cell, although might have existed in early versions of it - if your schoolboy text books were as old as some of ours (our history text book made frequent mention of the Great War!) the information might not have accurately reflected the technology in use at the time.

Presumably, because of the semi-solid nature of the ingredients, it was possible to mould them in concentric layers, as here, without a physical divider. It was drawings like this that I was familiar with in my youth.

However, drawings of more modern construction methods suggest that the constituents of the two layers have subsequently been mixed and combined into one.
Closed Thread