UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Aug 2018, 11:54 am   #21
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: My valve PSU dilemma

A valve rectifier is very inefficiant, I would have thought a well designed SS PSU would be far better than a valved one, far less noise. You'd need nothing more than a bridge rectifier with suppressor caps across the diodes and big capacitance. The PSU to my big amp has less than 0.02% ripple+noise.

If your intent on valved supply check out this series of articles - http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technica...ower-Supplies/ and here - http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/supply.htm

Lastly, you may be better bread boarding or knocking up the circuit on the bench than relying on Spice.

Good luck, Andy.
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 7:17 am   #22
victor54
Triode

Thanks Andy for the advice, I shall try your ideea just to compare then I'll be back with the final result ... probably a subjective one as long as ripple and hiss are deadly absent in anny case.
Regards,
victor
Old 8th Aug 2018, 9:16 am   #23
victor54
Triode

The answer from a friend of Poland:
"Why tube regulators?" you're asking yourself. Well, there are good reasons for and against. Some people like the sound of unregulated supplies because "raw" supplies sound more warm and tubey. Others like the sound of regulated supplies because they feel that regulation gives the sound more impact and focus. Some prefer the sound of tube regulators because they find that tube based regulators sound more natural than the solid state variety. All elements in a design affect the sound of that design. The power supply is a major element in any design. The decision to regulate or not to regulate will ultimately be decided on the basis of the resulting sonic qualities -- hopefully
Old 13th Aug 2018, 10:52 am   #24
victor54
Triode

Allready received from a friend from Poland a replica of the ecl82 psu. He say that only R1&R7 must be changed in order to acive 350Vdc at the regulated outlet.
Anny comments?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	psu poland ecl82.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	167473   Click image for larger version

Name:	pcb poland.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	167474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Psu cu ecl82.jpg