UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Oct 2015, 8:58 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question TMK TEM-1555B Insulation Tester-What leads to use?

Some time ago -at this year's NVCF to be precise, I bought a s/h TEM-1555B, which appears to be in good working order, but came minus it's test leads. For the time being I've (cautiously) used it with a pair of leads normally used with my M3800 DMM, but would like to know what leads would other members recommend for use with this electronic 'megger'. Obviously they need to be rated for >500VAC, and ideally have detachable insulated probe clips & standard 4mm 'banana' plugs, but there are many test leads on the market so any advice will be welcome.

(P.S. Not sure if this counts as 'vintage', so mods. move this thread if not!
Old 12th Oct 2015, 9:59 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: TMK TEM-1555B Insulation Tester-What leads to use?

If it's a 500V tester any decent meter test leads will be fine. Most meters have ranges going higher than that anyway.

Insulated croc clips or spring hook probes would probably be the most useful terminations.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 12th Oct 2015, 10:08 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Basically, this is what I thought, Chris. In recent times I've used some from Maplin which have screw-on insulated crocodile clips ( the smaller type, though) with my DMM and analogue meters, so a similar pair should be OK with the 1555B, which, as stated, is an insulation tester producing 500 VAC.
Old 22nd Oct 2015, 1:26 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I've now obtained from CPC a pair of good quality test leads, each incorporating a 500mA FF fuse, and with spring-loaded probe tips, for use with this meter. The leads are rated 1000v AC & DC (CPC no.1N06168). The only thing I had to do was cut off the shrouds around the 4mm plugs to allow them to fit in the TMK meter's sockets. Now I realise the need for safety as much as anyone, but why does everything have to be made this way!! Standard 4mm 'banana' plugs would, IMHO, be perfectly adequate. Maybe there's some regulation in 'elf 'n' safety legislation, which insists that all plugs must be shrouded nowadays, and the TMK meter is quite old in any case. No doubt the sockets on newer instruments accept shrouded plugs.
Old 22nd Oct 2015, 2:27 pm   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
I've now obtained from CPC a pair of good quality test leads, each incorporating a 500mA FF fuse...'
Don't forget to prove your leads by shorting together before undertaking any testing, as it would never do for a blown or failed fuse to suggest you might be measuring a high resistance when, in fact, you aren't.

You could always make up your own leads with 1000V silicone cable and some croc clips, and your own unshrouded 4mm plugs.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread