UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Aug 2018, 1:17 pm   #1
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Taylor 45c ECL86 settings

I've just fired up Dad's old Taylor 45c and, to my surprise I must admit, it's working and giving sensible answers. One point, though - the books don't give settings for ECL86. Anybody know these?
Old 20th Aug 2018, 3:05 pm   #2
WME_bill
Octode

Default Re: Taylor 45c ECL86 settings

Taylor Valve tester ECL86.
I think you will find it cannot be tested, because there is no position of Switch C which connects the pentode control grid (pin8) and the screen g2 and cathode.
Position C16 connects cathode and screen but leaves g1, pin8 flying.
You will have to modify the positions on switch C,or use a flying lead to connect the grid (circuit5).
You are also stuck over the triode section of the valve.
I posted some notes years ago on modification I made in 1980 to switch C which permits a further range of valves to be tested..
You will have to work it out using the manual from the Circuit Selector Switch Positions diagram and the Circuit wiring around Switch C (which is not always consistent for all versions of the model 45C on the higher positions of switches A and C).
You will need a nice quiet room for an hour to get it worked out. It can be very confusing.
wme_Bill
Old 20th Aug 2018, 6:57 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Some help here: https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=87714
Old 20th Aug 2018, 9:53 pm   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Oh boy, what a can of worms! I wonder whether there's a Windsor diagram somewhere...mine's a straight 45c.
Closed Thread