UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2021, 1:58 pm   #1
Smt02tof
Pentode

Default Dansette Hi-Fi replacement cartridge?

Hi I have just purchased a mk1 Dansette HIFI oval speaker and it’s currently fitted with garrard crystal cartridge, could anyone recommend a modern replacement, I have a lot of 70’s 80’s vinyl and couldn’t want to damage it, I have been told get bsr x5 m but they are like rocking horse poo, is there anything else I can use ?
Thanks in advance
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 2:48 pm   #2
Ekcoman
Heptode

Default Re: Dansette Hi-Fi replacement cartridge?

Can recommend Chinese import which are available in UK with holder. May need slight adaption. Available on a certain nameless auction site....ICT05 P-188D P-190 CZ800 793-D CC1AD Ceramic Cartridge + Stylus Uk Stock
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 3:07 pm   #3
Smt02tof
Pentode

Yes I have tried a red Type but it does appear to have a much lower volume compared to the original
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62D6871E-ED20-47A2-BFF9-5964A1951126.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	236296  
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 5:32 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well, it is highly likely to have less output than that old groove grinding Garrard GC2/8 mono cartridge! If you can get a BSR X5M (with mount) get one now before they all go.
Also look for the Chinese Denshu-Choi clone ceramic stereo cartridge in 1/2" mount, with flip-under LPS/78 stylus. Last seen online for about £14-00. it will not have the same level of output but your version of the Dansette Hi Fi (2 x ECL82s) will still have adequate gain for it.
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 6:03 pm   #5
paulsherwin

You should bear in mind that this sort of kit won't be very kind to records regardless of what cartridge you fit. If you really want to minimise wear and damage, you should use a half decent HiFi deck fitted with a magnetic cartridge tracking at a gram or two. This will also sound better.

Of course, there are perfectly valid reasons why you would continue to use the Dansette, but it's not the optimum solution for the records.
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 7:38 pm   #6
Smt02tof
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Well, it is highly likely to have less output than that old groove grinding Garrard GC2/8 mono cartridge! If you can get a BSR X5M (with mount) get one now before they all go.
Also look for the Chinese Denshu-Choi clone ceramic stereo cartridge in 1/2" mount, with flip-under LPS/78 stylus. Last seen online for about £14-00. it will not have the same level of output but your version of the Dansette Hi Fi (2 x ECL82s) will still have adequate gain for it.
Thanks Edward
I may just have sourced a BSR X5M
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 7:41 pm   #7
Smt02tof
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
You should bear in mind that this sort of kit won't be very kind to records regardless of what cartridge you fit. If you really want to minimise wear and damage, you should use a half decent HiFi deck fitted with a magnetic cartridge tracking at a gram or two. This will also sound better.

Of course, there are perfectly valid reasons why you would continue to use the Dansette, but it's not the optimum solution for the records.
Correct of course but the rusty nail that is currently fitted would definitely cause damage very quickly, and to be honest I don’t want a modern HIFI I love these old 60’s record player and love the sound
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 10:11 pm   #8
paulsherwin

Fair enough, it's completely your decision. My post was just a warning in case you were unaware of the issues.
Closed Thread