UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2006, 10:45 pm   #1
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Isopropanyl

As a warning, do not use Isopropanyl on Perspex and other clear accrylic - especially shaped items (tubes etc). It causes the material to crack for some reason. This was something that was always avoided where I used to work (we made X-Ray sources and used a lot of Perspex in the high voltage bits).

I was reminded of it yesterday because my partner bought one of those light things with a long Perspex tube that is filled with water, has bubbles blown through it and a varying colour light underneath, from a car boot sale. It was only £2 because it leaked. He tried using isopropanyl to clean off the residue of silicone sealant from the tube (which it wouldn't do), and after an hour the whole area he cleaned had a load of cracks and had become very brittle.

The effect is quite surprising since isopropanyl is usually fairly mild stuff and doesn't hurt most things. Seeing it destroy apparently rigid plastic this way is most odd!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 26th Feb 2006, 10:54 pm   #2
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Isopropanyl

For future ref acetic acid or vinegar cleans silicon sealer off

Mike
Old 26th Feb 2006, 11:34 pm   #3
YC-156
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelect
For future ref acetic acid or vinegar cleans silicon sealer off
Mike, does that work for dry silicone sealer as well

I just tried it on some dry sealer here, and the result was not encouraging. Hot water apparently worked just as well, which is to say not very. Is there a trick to it, please?

Regards

Frank N.
Old 27th Feb 2006, 8:29 am   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC-156
Mike, does that work for dry silicone sealer as well

I just tried it on some dry sealer here, and the result was not encouraging. Hot water apparently worked just as well, which is to say not very. Is there a trick to it, please?.
AFAIK, there's nothing that you can readily buy that will clean off silicone sealant easily. Mechanically remove as much as you can. Then try one of the silicone removers sold by Screwfix etc. The one I tried worked up to a point - it made it easier to scrape away the residues.

There may be a good solvent for silicone but I suspect it will be something highly hazardous like carbon disulphide or worse.
Old 27th Feb 2006, 8:54 am   #5
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Simple answer to the silicone problem - Petrol!

It softens the silicone quite well, and makes it easier to remove....

Cheers
Sean
Old 27th Feb 2006, 10:59 am   #6
GMB
Dekatron

It is not specifically isopropanol that can cause stressed plastics to crack - I have seen this happen with white spirit too. I suspect that anything that can work into the cracks to reduce the energy required to propagate them will do it.
Old 27th Feb 2006, 2:28 pm   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

We used to use IPA (isopropyl alcohol, not the Greene King sort of alcohol ) at TVVC to clean video tape path stuff, and discovered that some of the plastic cabinet parts, especially the clear stuff that must have been acrylic, suffered what Paul's lamp did.
Old 27th Feb 2006, 8:07 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I wonder whether the rapid evaporation (which causes it to feel cold on your hand) somehow causes additional stresses to the surface that cause it to crack? Perspex tube in particular is permanently stressed unless it has been annealed, and even that doesn't get rid of all the stresses.

Certainly where I used to work the problem would occur more on Perspex tubes than Perspex sheets, though it happened to some extent with all Perspex sometimes, so we had a policy of not using it on or near Perspex at all. Our normal degreasing method was washing in warm water with washing-up liquid then drying in a warm oven (about 60C).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 28th Feb 2006, 4:32 pm   #9
Biggles
Rest in Peace

We had an unfortunate experience at work with some kind of solvent cleaner (can't remember which one now) where someone tried to clean a control head from a radio with it and promptly melted all the switch keys. After this I always test a very small non conspicuous bit with the cleaner before going the whole hog. It isn't always immediately obvious which chemicals will attack which plastics. Tread with caution, or is that proceed carefully?

Biggles
Old 28th Feb 2006, 11:38 pm   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

And while we're at it, foam cleanser sprays and DAC90A diffusers don't get on with each other very well
Old 1st Mar 2006, 6:55 pm   #11
pmmunro
Octode

Industrial solvents specially formulated for "digesting" silicon rubber are available - one of these is called Digesil - information is available at

http://www.chela.co.uk/products.php

This can be bought is small quatities, though with quite big prices, of the order of £15 for 100ml, from local chemical suppliers.

As similar product, readily available but probably in more dilute form is sold for cleaning sanitary sealer by stores such as B & Q.

Digesil can be used to "unpot" electronic assemblies, although this may take several days. Some component casings may suffer but if you really want to know what's inside...

PMM
Old 25th Mar 2006, 11:39 am   #12
igranic
Rest in Peace

Three products are available from Screwfix for removal of silicone sealant, they are:
17175 Sealant Remover 100ml @2.19
18504 Silicone Eater 150ml @£3.99
50102 Silicone Sealant Remover 300ml @£7.99

I have seen similar products in some of the DIY sheds, notably B&Q & Wickes.
Old 26th Mar 2006, 8:21 pm   #13
zak
Retired Dormant Member

Plastic to be very carefull with are Perspex,and Polystyrene with isopropyll alcohol,I find petrol one of the finest for cleaning all sorts of things and thinning paint,however the smell annoys the wife!
Old 26th Mar 2006, 9:14 pm   #14
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak
Plastic to be very carefull with are Perspex,and Polystyrene with isopropyll alcohol,I find petrol one of the finest for cleaning all sorts of things and thinning paint,however the smell annoys the wife!
Well,

Every cloud has its silver lining

Seriously though, petrol is very good as a general solvent. I use lighter fuel as it is clean, leaves no deposits, evaporates very quickly and doesn't smell quite as bad as 95 octane.

Regards,
Old 27th Mar 2006, 8:15 am   #15
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R Pateman
Well,

Every cloud has its silver lining

Seriously though, petrol is very good as a general solvent. I use lighter fuel as it is clean, leaves no deposits, evaporates very quickly and doesn't smell quite as bad as 95 octane.

Regards,
All my clock cleaning, including some parts made of various plastics, including Perspex and SRBP (Tufnol) is done using petrol. Outside, or in the garage, of course.
Old 27th Mar 2006, 11:50 am   #16
GMB
Dekatron

White Spirit is more appropriate than petrol. It has more or less similar properties - except the huge risk of the inflammable vapour.
Old 27th Mar 2006, 12:31 pm   #17
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

I've found White Spirit a good, non aggressive solvent. I've found it's good for removing felt tip writing and the remains of adhesive from labels etc. Turps Substitute is the same stuff but is a wider cut.

White Spirit, but not Turps Subsitute, should be used for thinning paint. I don't think using petrol to thin paint is a very good idea especially when there's a less flammable product intended for the job.

With all of these solvents, it's as well to go carefully before pitching in and risking damage to the thing you are trying to clean.

Isopropanol was the recommended solvent for cleaning computer tape drive heads after the freon cleaner was banned and remaining bottles were supposed to be surrendered. Some people hung onto little bottles of the freon cleaner for hard cases, because it did the job better.

Of course, warm soapy water, and rinsing down with rainwater, can be an amazingly effective and cheap way of cleaning things.

Pete.
Old 27th Mar 2006, 3:45 pm   #18
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC

White Spirit, but not Turps Subsitute, should be used for thinning paint. I don't think using petrol to thin paint is a very good idea especially when there's a less flammable product intended for the job.
Pete.
If you thin paint with petrol you create rubber paint I've just made some for restoring the grommets on my Mohican it worked extremely well. It was a trick I learned from the motor trade ove 30 years ago when tyre paint wasn't available commercially
Old 30th Mar 2006, 3:01 am   #19
vince
Retired Dormant Member

Did you know that hospital wipes containing 70% isopropyl alchohol. can wipe the decal smile from a radio tuning glass, it will also remove stubborn sticky labels, also factory printed commands on vtrs/tv's like rew/f/f/stop/eject. even the brand name, the tv you bought second hand for a song even though you had momentry doubts about the brand name 'IBA' was really TOSHIBA. the isopropyl can be kind to other parts though like vtr heads, the tape path, head drum (upper & lower) rabbit, roller guides, rec/erase heads, tracking head, pinch roller with care, removing old grease from tape guide slots, idler wheels, brake pads, play/rew reels, metal carriages, the VHS/NHS combined to make a good format.
Old 30th Mar 2006, 9:32 am   #20
GMB
Dekatron

A warning about using medical solvents for degreasing - they often contain grease! When I was a kid I used to distill such solvents to remove the grease for my electronic enthusiast friends.
Closed Thread