UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jan 2019, 12:51 am   #1
DonzHow
Retired Dormant Member

Default AKAI GX400D SS Quadra synch system

Hi. I am new to the forum and seeking advice. I don't know if this is the right place to ask for it so my apologies if not.

I have the reel to reel system above, that I inherited a while ago. It works and the heads have been cleaned. I understand that it is a good and rare model, and it has been looked after well. As much as I loved the idea of using it and displaying it, I don't believe that I will.

I don't know anything about these machines and would not be able to answer any technical questions. Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to find the spec for this model? Also, any advice on it's value would be most welcome. I have lots of the tape reels also but they have been recorded on, so may not be much use.

Many thanks
DonzHow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180830_095847.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	175910   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180830_095825.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	175911  

Last edited by AC/HL; 5th Jan 2019 at 1:08 am. Reason: Forum rules
Old 5th Jan 2019, 9:50 am   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: AKAI GX400D SS Quadra synch system

Bit of a niche product, this, which may be a good thing. It dates from the 1970s, when Quadraphonic sound was the craze, at least among some manufacturers. The best way of recording quadraphonic sound was using four discrete channels, as this machine does. The deck is Akai's top semi-professional transport, and these machines are quite sought after. Auction sites will get you the best price in general.
Old 5th Jan 2019, 12:56 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Very few people are interested in quadrophonic sound. It was a passing fad.

However, good four channel recorders are quite sought after by amateur musicians and beginning groups.

The mechanism in that one is quite decent. The weak point in tape machines is the heads. Replacement heads have not been made since the era of the machine. The few spares that turn up sell quickly and for high prices. Your machine has Akai's long-life heads which makes its chances of being OK fairly good.

You don't sound interested in using it yourself, so Ebay is probably the best option and you problem would become one of packing and shipping. Do photographs from all angles. Photograph even the tapes and spools. There are likely some adaptors to allow it to take large spools with huge centre holes. If you have these, look for closed auction prices of the adaptors. They'll put a smile on your face! Tape and empty metal spools can be sought after.

Some makes/types of tape degrade and leave lots of sticky crap all over your guides and heads. Other tapes survive well and are sought after.

David
Old 5th Jan 2019, 12:59 pm   #4
DonzHow
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you very much for the advice. This is really helpful.
Old 5th Jan 2019, 1:28 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonzHow View Post
Thank you very much for the advice. This is really helpful.
Google vintegeshifi.com, the full specs can be found in the service manual that's available from that site.

Lawrence.
Old 5th Jan 2019, 5:42 pm   #6
DonzHow
Retired Dormant Member

Brilliant. Thank you Lawrence.
Old 6th Jan 2019, 4:46 pm   #7
Kentode
Octode

Keep it! Akai glass heads are bombproof and last forever. Life goes in circles and it's only a matter of time before quad sound becomes the next "Must-have".

I'd love it!

Pictured is my Akai GX4000D, with Johnny Walker's interview with Woody Woodmansy of "Spiders from Mars" fame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	176014  

BVWS member
Old 6th Jan 2019, 8:32 pm   #8
DonzHow
Retired Dormant Member

I am sure that you are right Ken but I have kept it for 7 years. I have had it looked at, to check it works, and heads cleaned. It will just gather dust if I keep it. I much prefer the idea of someone who will enjoy it having it. I can't find the spec for this model on the site Lawrence mentioned but I imagine someone who knows these machines would have a better idea.
Old 6th Jan 2019, 10:08 pm   #9
TIMTAPE
Octode

These are very heavy beasts and easily damaged when shipped. Packing needs to be very good. Sometimes sellers stipulate personal collection only.
Old 6th Jan 2019, 10:19 pm   #10
paulsherwin

Given your location, you are likely to find a buyer in west London or central southern England who can collect. International shipping will cost a fortune if you do it properly, and even UK. shipping will be difficult and expensive.
Old 7th Jan 2019, 7:36 pm   #11
DonzHow
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you all so much. I will definitely advertise as collection only. As you point out, expensive and risky otherwise. However, I am going to visit family in Lincolnshire mid February so will also offer to transfer that far to help anyone a bit further north.
Old 8th Jan 2019, 10:12 am   #12
Robstan234
Retired Dormant Member

Hi I would be interested and Lincoln would be better than Stoke to collect, let us know when you offer it.
Rob
Old 9th Mar 2019, 12:09 pm   #13
DonzHow
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
There are likely some adaptors to allow it to take large spools with huge centre holes. If you have these, look for closed auction prices of the adaptors. They'll put a smile on your face! Tape and empty metal spools can be sought after.
I have found the adapter spools and a small Sony box with lots of different rubber bands in it and other alien parts to me.
Closed Thread