UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jul 2015, 8:34 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Missing metal strip from Zenith carrying handle

A Zenith Trans–Oceanics Royal D7000Y was missing the metal trim that runs along the top of the retractable carrying handle. The top surface of the cabinet is divided by this handle with each half, front and rear, being finished in a 'silver', brushed finish metal trim. In the 'before' photo, what looks like rust on the surface of the handle is actually the remains of the glue that held the original strip in place on it.

But what to replace it with? I initially looked at 'brushed metal' vinyl that is available in various guises, some of them very good. As most of this is only available in relatively large pieces or quantities – I only needed a strip – I began to think laterally, and in doing so came up with the answer that I should have done in the first place. I had in my possession a sheet of brushed aluminium somewhat less than a millimetre in thickness that on examination was just the material for the job. I measured up, and I cut a strip using a Stanley knife against a steel rule as a straight edge. I then cut it to length similarly. Using the knife I carefully scored the reverse side of the strip to get the short bent over sections at each end. Thankfully thin ali is a doddle to work with when bending or cutting. The brushed finish was a little tired and battle scared so I refurbed it using a fine rubber/metal rubbing block. This also made it a tad shinier and fortuitously even closer to the look of the top. I glued it in place using impact adhesive. You can see the results in the 'after' photo. Just in case anyone is wondering what this 'metal and plastic' set looks like, I've also included a shot of it set up for use. It's an American all wave set that was used by travelling Americans to pick up stations whilst travelling or simply for home use listening to local stations or DXing. It folds out into a sort of mini base station, and in a dinky, somewhat boy scout fashion it includes such goodies as a compass, logs and charts book, map of the world with adjustable 24hr time zone strip, and switchable lights for use in the dark etc.

Anyway, the refurbishment of its handle is most probably a 'tip' that few people will ever have the need to perform, but nonetheless the materials and techniques may come in handy along the line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010404.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	111168   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010405.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	111169   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010408.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	111170  
Old 28th Jul 2015, 9:30 pm   #2
MrElectronicman
Heptode

Default Re: Missing metal strip from Zenith carrying handle

Nice job with the handle.
I have one of these, bought it around 1969 or 70, was the house radio for years. I rarely use the SW anymore and the FM is of course only mono, but it's a nice radio and I have never had any problem with it.
Old 29th Jul 2015, 5:44 pm   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Nice job!
A useful source of thin satin aluminium for this sort of thing is offset litho printing plates.
Old 30th Jun 2016, 6:17 am   #4
sant_ka
Diode

Great job Steve and thanks for the information. I have a D7000Y with the very same issue. Could you tell us more about the roughness number of the rubber/metal rubbing block that you used and the source of the brushed Al.

Cheers !
Santhosh
Old 30th Jun 2016, 9:19 am   #5
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Thumbs up Re: Missing metal strip from Zenith carrying handle

Very good - looks great.
Old 2nd Jul 2016, 9:22 pm   #6
Panrock
Nonode

Nice one! Well done.

Steve
Old 2nd Aug 2016, 3:50 pm   #7
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sant_ka View Post
Great job Steve and thanks for the information. I have a D7000Y with the very same issue. Could you tell us more about the roughness number of the rubber/metal rubbing block that you used and the source of the brushed Al.
Sorry I didn't answer this question earlier. I'm not sure now what grade it was, but I have a collection of them that I use for polishing frets when I work on guitars. I think I may have actually used quite a rough one, as the less abrasive ones tend to 'grip' and judder when used on sheet aluminium. I don't recall that it was critical anyway. If it's too rough you can always use a smoother one afterwards as ali is easy quite forgiving.
Old 2nd Aug 2016, 5:00 pm   #8
Reelman
Octode

Good job there Steve and a useful tip. However it reminded me that the strip is loose on mine and I must glue it back before it disappears......
Peter
Old 2nd Aug 2016, 7:16 pm   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks Peter. There's just something about the Zenith TOs that captivates and brings out the child in me (no comments please). It the base station thing I think, I always wanted to sit in front of some kind of control station with dials and a big aerial and lots of squealy knobs to twiddle and tune in to signals all around the world as a kid. Kinda like in Thunderbirds, saving the world and all that stuff. Now I can do it. And I do