UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2012, 8:54 pm   #1
david winter
Hexode

Default A few "before / after" pictures of my Magnetophon HTS...

Here are a few pictures of my little monster which required several days to work again...
This machine was originaly designed exclusively for the Reichs-Rundfunk-Gesellschaft (RRG) in 1942. Only 100 were made.
Some were captured right after the war, others like mine continued working at the RIAS.
The transport is nothing but a R22a, itself the broadcast version of the K4.

From left to right:
- Magnetophon HTS are received: dust, rust and more...
- Power supply chassis: leaky capacitors
- Power supply once cleaned and restored

Next pictures to follow...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HTS_avant.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	65718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alim_avant.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	65719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alim_apres.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	65720  

Last edited by david winter; 25th Apr 2012 at 9:02 pm.
Old 25th Apr 2012, 9:01 pm   #2
david winter
Hexode

Default Re: A few "before / after" pictures of my Magnetophon HTS...

From left to right:

- Main chassis before restoration
- Main chassis once restored
- HTS transport once restored
- HTS in whole with a bit of cleaning on the paint

Most capacitors were in perfect shape except for those in metal cans (paper isolated). New capacitors were put in the cans, except for cylindrical electrolytics (I put a new one under the chassis for easier replacement).
I don't recall finding any bad resistor, but if some were replaced, they were not more than two or three.

Problems to be solved later: playback amplifier tends to saturate easily if volume is put too high, even just before 50%.
Recording has not been tested.
One piece of zamac holding the electromagnet of the capstan motor brake had to be rebuilt (thanks to a friend of mine who kindly made an exact replacement).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chassis_avant.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	65728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis_apres.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	65731   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTS_apres_1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	65732   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTS_apres_2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	65733  

Last edited by david winter; 25th Apr 2012 at 9:07 pm.
Old 25th Apr 2012, 10:42 pm   #3
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Hello David,
Now that I look at it the machine looks more like a Magnetophon K4. The R22 HTS machine is in the documents I sent you.
The Magnetophon K3 was black and with a round meter in the middle, I am still not 100% sure, but I think yours is a type of Magnetophon K4, or perhaps was it built later then the other HTS machines? say in 1945?, but yet it still looks more like a K3, so perhaps yours is earlier.
But the confusing part is that you have one Amplifier chassis, which would have been odd for a Magnetophon.
Just my thoughts, I'm not 100% sure.
-Chris
Old 26th Apr 2012, 7:52 am   #4
david winter
Hexode

Chris,

My machine is an HTS as per pictured ID plate. The serial seems to mean the 75th one built in 1942 but it's only speculative.
The HTS was designed for easy transport, hence the trolley. How could you transport safely such a machine with the racks shown in the file and without rollers ? This doesn't make any sense. I'm quite sure this particular machine is a prototype or another custom model which had an HTS transport installed for some reasons (don't forget that the ID plate is on the transport and may be confusing).
Check the second picture of a the R22 studio at the RRG in 1939, you'll recognize the racks and R22 transports with optional boards on the left and on the right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HTS_plate.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	65755   Click image for larger version

Name:	R22studio.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	65756  
Old 26th Apr 2012, 8:18 pm   #5
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Could yours possibly be aN Editing machine then? Specifically designed so that when editing one isn't leaning over the valves? But yet still fully have all the recording and playback facilities? Maybe yours was a prototype, does make sense to see the lighter weight amplifier, as my Philips are like that.
Excellent picture, do you happen to have any more of the RRG?
Thank you,
-Chris
Old 26th Apr 2012, 9:34 pm   #6
david winter
Hexode

I don't know how it was used at the RIAS. All I know is that the amplifier chassis has been modified many times, just like most K7 and K8 machines.
But it still contains a significant portion which is original. The power supply chassis was never altered and still had all electrolytics dated from 1941/42.

In any case it is not a prototype like the one in the BBC file. Once again, the HTS was a complete, all-in-one movable machine.
Closed Thread