UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Aug 2005, 6:33 pm   #1
imajeenyus
Retired Dormant Member

Default Connection details for Grundig TK5

Hello,

I have a Grundig TK5 tape deck and a whole pile of tapes that I want to transfer to CD. I want to make up a plug for the back of the unit that will transfer audio to the computer.

Can anyone tell me

1) What the various symbols mean on the sockets at the back of the unit (there's 4 of them) and what the pinouts of the sockets are?
2) How best I could feed the audio signal to the "line in" input of the soundcard - is there something like a "line out" on the tape deck, or a speaker extension?

Hope someone can help!

Many thanks,

Lindsay Wilson B.Sc.

Last edited by mikelect; 31st Aug 2005 at 6:42 pm. Reason: remove e-mail address
Old 31st Aug 2005, 9:48 pm   #2
gnome
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Connection details for Grundig TK5

Hi
I do not know your particular recorder, but, on the back if there is a round connector with 5 pins this is a DIN plug (or socket). A din to din lead can be connected to a din socket which splits to two RCA phono plugs, these could be plugged into a two phono to 3.5mm stereo jack. That is a long way around. If there are two sockets usually marked line out (there would normally be a matching pair, marked line in). These are RCA phono, then a lead with two RCA phono on each end is required. One end goes into the two phono to 3.5mm stereo jack mentioned above. If you go onto e-bay, search for any of those items you will find them for a few pounds each, I use the powersellers who sell from their own e-bay shops. Hope that is not too confusing, if you need pictures please say and I will upload photos of the items you need.
If you are plugging into a PC then try to use the line in socket rather than the microphone socket for best results.
regards
gnome
Old 31st Aug 2005, 10:19 pm   #3
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: Connection details for Grundig TK5

Hi
I have enclosed a drawing which may help, for the purposes of completeness I have shown the stereo connections, as the TK5 is a mono recorder it may only have 3 pin DIN sockets or 5 pin ones with dummy holes on pins 4 and 5.
A low level (something in the order of 500mV - 1V into >500k Ohms) output should be available on Pin(s) 3(and 5) of the "Gram" and the "Speaker" sockets, both of these may be at the same level and possibly dependent on the volume control setting of the machine, although one of them may not be; If one of them is not dependent on the volume control IMO this is the one to connect to.
As gnome states the best way to connect to your line card would be to the "line in" and not the "mic" socket.
If you find that only pin 3 of the DIN socket is connected the tip and ring connections of the jack plug which fits in to the line card will have to be commoned, otherwise you will only get sound out of one speaker (if wired correctly the left hand side one), this is ussually done at the DIN plug end by connecting the (ussually) red and white wires to pin 3 of the associated DIN plug, pin 2 is the ground or earth connection which the screen of the cable would be connected to. The sleeve connection of the jack plug is the ground connection.
In my diagram I have included what may possibly be the legends that are on the sockets of the tape recorder with a description of what they mean. I am not sure, however, what the fourth socket would be for - it may help if you could post a picture then I may be able to figure it out

Andrew

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/6101/din0po.th.jpg

Last edited by AndiiT; 31st Aug 2005 at 10:27 pm.
Closed Thread