UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2008, 12:34 pm   #1
Ian B
Hexode

Default Straightening a warped back

Hi folks,

I bought a GEC Mains 3 at the NVCF which is now working well (as well as you could expect for a 2 valve set anyway), but the back is very concave and almost touches the speaker magnet! At present I have the back weighted down with large & heavy books on the floor, but 3 days of this don't seem to have made much improvement. Should I try steaming it and then re-pressing? I'm a bit nervous of causing any irreparable damage to such a fragile thing.

Thanks,

Ian Blackbourn
Old 17th May 2008, 1:12 pm   #2
samthelemming
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Straightening a warped back

Perhaps an idea, not sure if it would work, but place greece proof paper over the back and then use an old iron to warm it?
Not sure where you'd go from there but it might be a less risky option than steaming,

Sam
Old 17th May 2008, 1:14 pm   #3
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Think it needs to be dampened a bit
Old 17th May 2008, 1:40 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Think it needs to be dampened a bit
Yes, try leaving it in the bathroom while someone's having a leisurely, steamy bath, then put something heavy on it to press it flat.
Old 19th May 2008, 6:34 pm   #5
Ian B
Hexode

Well, I held the offending item over the saucepan in which we were steaming the cabbage one evening. This made it nice and damp feeling. Left it pressed under several bound volumes of Wireless World for a couple of days, and Bingo! - almost completely flat. Let's hope it stays that way.

Nick's idea of the steamy bathroom sounds even better, but we always have showers, and our bathroom doesn't get very steamy - I've never seen the mirror steamed up!

Thanks,

Ian
Old 19th May 2008, 7:39 pm   #6
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I took a drastic action with a radio back that was badly warped .I have a wood burning stove , the top can boil a kettle . I ran water from the tap over the back sat it on the stove with a weight from a dumbell for a couple of mins , then did it again ,and it was just about perfect with a little scorch mark , so I recon a slightly more gentle option would certainly work ok
Old 19th May 2008, 8:55 pm   #7
Andy Day
Pentode

Last time I had this problem I soaked the back in the bath for half an hour, then stuck it on the bench in the shed between two sheets of aluminium with a couple of bricks on top. Didn't stick and came out pretty flat. I then touched the blinges and scratches up with some of my Humbrol enamels mixed to match and was quite happy with the result.