UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 18th May 2019, 10:09 pm   #941
GrimJosef
Nonode

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
... I thought 13A fuses were supposed to be coloured brown and that black was for all values other than 3A and 13A. So are the blue and black audiophile ones illegal?
They might be not compliant with the standard. I don't think the fuses themselves can be illegal. Selling things that don't comply, when compliance is a legal requirement, is what's illegal. I don't know whether compliance is a legal requirement for fuses (there's a difference between 'components' and 'equipment' and the Electrical Equipment Safety Regs, which require compliance for modern items, apply to the latter).

If an accident were to result then non-compliance might well land the seller in deep doo-doo under general 'safety of goods' legislation though.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 19th May 2019, 10:57 am   #942
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Don't knock it till yer tried it.

The volume of this radio does increase as the wire burns in. If you run it with a 120v 'WINNER' battery, you can actually disconnect it and the radio continues to run for about 32 minutes. Presumably the electrons stack themselves up at the end of the wire then release slowly as required.

It works best with this cactus plant as an earth. I did try a red Geranium but results were poor. A very fine wire is connected to the base of the longest stem of the cactus to the aerial socket. The total resistance is around 108K but the circulating electrons tend to have an amplifying rather like a photo multiplier and reception of Radio Moscow is loud and clear.

Of course there is nothing new and the effect was written up in the 'MARCONIGRAPH' Mar 1912 shortly before the Titanic came to a watery end. Maybe the discovery was 'tainted' by this tragedy and the phenomenon went down with the ship. So there yer go. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Super electrons..jpg
Views:	57
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	183373  
Heatercathodeshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2019, 11:03 am   #943
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Just a minute, John, It may not be the cactusy nature of the cactus, but a property of its shape.

That shape has a special connection with many things radio... look up Wouff-Hongg

David
Old 19th May 2019, 11:27 am   #944
ajgriff
Hexode

I wonder if reception will improve further if and when the cactus flowers or would that introduce signal colouration?

Alan
ajgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2019, 1:18 pm   #945
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Depends on the colour of the flowers. It didn't like red. J.
Heatercathodeshort is offline   Reply With Quote