UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 17th Apr 2007, 2:45 pm   #1
Marconi Man
Retired Dormant Member

Default Restoring scratched plastic windows, dials etc...

I'm not sure whether this will be of any use to someone, but its a trick I found out by accident when I was given a digital multimeter which had a badly scuffed and scratched display window.

If you clean the plastic window and use some clear graphics adhesive tape - not sellotape, get it from an art shop or a graphics studio.
Carefully stick the tape over the plastic window and rub down... Most of the scuffing will disapear, but if you leave it overnight the effect is magnificent!!!

I assume the adhesive gradually fills the scratches as the result is a plastic window with a perfect finish and clear transparency to view through!

All you need is to trim carefully around the window and hey presto you have a new looking multimeter or whatever....

This method can be used on decorative trim as well as for dials and windows on instruments...

Hope it useful to someone! John.
Old 20th Apr 2007, 1:16 pm   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Restoring scratched plastic windows, dials etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Man View Post
If you clean the plastic window and use some clear graphics adhesive tape - not sellotape, get it from an art shop or a graphics studio.
Carefully stick the tape over the plastic window and rub down... Most of the scuffing will disapear, but if you leave it overnight the effect is magnificent!!!
That looks a great idea, John. Is the clear graphics adhesive tape available under a recognised trade name or brand?

It could be a lot quicker than my more usual laborious method. I start with relatively coarse 'rubbing compound' used for car paintwork (or even fine-grade valve grinding paste for really badly scratched panels) and repeatedly polishing with ever-finer products such as 'T-Cut', finishing off with liquid Brasso. This works well and can restore opaque plastic cabinet parts too, although it is long-winded and you come close to losing the will to live after a while...

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 21st Apr 2007, 5:33 pm   #3
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

I have not tried it - it is just a thought - but perhaps you could clean a badly scratched plastic window and then spray it with a clear varnish which would fill in the scratches.
John.
Old 21st Apr 2007, 7:47 pm   #4
Marconi Man
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, I suppose the original idea came from when I was trying to hide the electronic circuit from prying eyes, back in the 80s so I used a potting compound, unfortunately it was clear! so I sandpapered the outside to obscure the view of the inside. I then gave it a coat of clear varnish and all was revealed again!!!

So yes, varnish does work, but its a messy business and you have to be careful about whether its compatable also over-spray etc...

The tape I now use which transforms these old badly scratched windows into almost new condition is a highly sticky but more importantly, a very crystal clear graphics tape which does not yellow.

I've forgotten the name of it but most office stores have it as a graphic designer tape in 50mm wide reels, so it lasts for ever!
Hope that helps!

John.
Old 22nd Apr 2007, 5:47 pm   #5
Aretas III
Retired Dormant Member

I use jeweler's rouge - an Autoglass man gave me some when he was changing my car window - it removes minor scratches on plastic very well.

Mike
Closed Thread