UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 17th Sep 2017, 7:03 pm   #1
Pieter H
Diode

Default Hi, happy to join this forum

Hi all,

I'm very happy to join this forum, after having read through some of the very long and very informative discussions.
I'm probably a bit of an oddity in this community, because more interested in the history of the technology than in actual set restoration. (That might come later if and when I have more time, because I do have a modest collection of old TV's and radios). And then preferably technology history with which I have some "personal" bond. Having worked with Philips (and later NXP) for 30 years this is clearly the core of most stories so far.

My interest in vintage TV's has always been there, but my first activity was triggered by the old home-built TV of my father, dating back to 1948 when he worked with Philips in Eindhoven. Although I did interview him many years ago on what exactly he had done and the background of his TV, all that was still very scarce in terms of facts and data. So the first thing I did was trace back the history of the EQ40/EQ80 valve, which was one of the key components in his set. This has resulted in a dedicated web page on that valve:
EQ40 and EQ80 history

While doing that I discovered that both the EQ40/80 as well as my fathers set were being developed in the midst of the first Philips TV developments, which I have then further researched leading to these two pages:
How Philips developed television pt1
and
How Philips developed television pt2

I've now started on the history of (Philips) TV tuners, which will be the main topic for questions soon! I hope the members of this forum will be able to help me with the British aspects of that, which often means Mullard. I look forward to the discussions!

Cheers, Pieter
Pieter H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2017, 8:31 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Default Re: Hi, happy to join this forum

Hello, and welcome!

I think you might create some very interesting discussions.

David
Old 18th Sep 2017, 5:49 am   #3
peter_sol
Octode

Hello
May I assume that those valves apart from their bases are the equivalent of the later EH90 which Pye used and called the circuit a quadrature detector.
peter_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2017, 7:15 am   #4
raditechman
Hexode

Hi Pieter,
Thank you for those very interesting Phillips television articles. It must have taken you considerable time to prepare them. Much appreciated.

John
raditechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2017, 9:12 am   #5
ukcol
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_sol View Post
Hello
May I assume that those valves apart from their bases are the equivalent of the later EH90.......
Look at the data sheets from the National Valve Museum it seems this is not so.

The EQ80 is an enneode have 3 control grids and 3 associated screen grids. The EH90 is a heptode having 2 control grids and 2 associated screen grids.

EDIT: I note having had a quick look at the FM detector circuits using the EQ80 that only 2 control grids are employed, g1 being connected to the cathode, so in this application the EH90 and EQ80 work in similar ways.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf eq80.pdf (365.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: pdf eh90.pdf (277.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by ukcol; 18th Sep 2017 at 9:20 am.
ukcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2017, 9:05 am   #6
Pieter H
Diode

Hi Peter and Colin,
in my view the EQ80 and EH90 were fundamentally different valves. The EH90 is a classical heptode, which, when used as an (RF) mixer, does the classical analogue multiplication and associated down-conversion. (Whether the signals are in quadrature is then first order irrelevant).
The EQ80 is a coincidence or phase detector, requiring preferably clipped or almost digital input signals. It then operates as phase detector (therefore the Philips name "phi-detector"). This is a fundamentally different function than a mixer. One can also better see the EQ80 as two stacked pentodes that perform an analogue "OR" operation.

Cheers, Pieter
Pieter H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2017, 10:51 am   #7
ukcol
Dekatron

Hi Pieter,

Thanks for the explanation.

I am more familiar with the EH90 as an FM detector of 6MHz intercarrier sound in TV receivers rather than in its mixer application. I (think) I understand though from what you have said that the EQ80 is fundamentally different in its operation.