UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 19th Sep 2011, 8:25 pm   #1
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default FM transmitter

Any recommendations for an FM transmitter for home use? I understand these are legal in the UK.

I'm after a stereo version. Either a kit or ready built with synthesiser.

Thanks
Old 19th Sep 2011, 8:33 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: FM transmitter

Many forum members use a Linex. These are not CE marked so technically illegal, but shouldn't attract attention if used responsibly.

There is a very wide range of alternatives. Anything marketed as for an iPod or mp3 player should be OK though performance varies. All will be stereo. Some will be CE marked and some not, and some of the CE marks will be genuine and some not.
Old 19th Sep 2011, 10:24 pm   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I picked one up at my local petrol filling station for under £5, and it provides excellent quality audio, as well as being tunable across the whole FM band. The range is barely a few metres, enough to work to the car radio but insufficient to attract the attention of the Authorities, as the output can't be more than a few mW.

Remove the AAA batteries when not in use; they run down whether or not the transmitter is active.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 19th Sep 2011, 11:25 pm   #4
davegsm82
Heptode

I've had a few, the belkin tunecast 2 (II) is probably the best i've found. Bass is something that small TX's seem to struggle with, that one copes admirably where others 'crunch'.

Dave.
Old 22nd Sep 2011, 3:23 pm   #5
Mach One
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegsm82 View Post
I've had a few, the belkin tunecast 2 (II) is probably the best i've found.
Dave.
That's the one I would suggest, too. Mine was bought around the time they became legal and does not have an audio limiter in it as far as I can tell, so if you get the modulation just right it is excellent. I don't know if any subsequent versions some five or so years on have had to fit this facility?
Old 26th Sep 2011, 7:48 pm   #6
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the response. I've just checked and my local Halfords have the Belkin tunecast II at just £20 so I'll pop in later this week and get one.
Old 27th Sep 2011, 11:08 am   #7
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I just went to place an order for this with Halfords and Amazon have it for £10.37. How bad's that?
Old 29th Sep 2011, 3:59 pm   #8
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

The Belkin Tunecast II arrived today. A very neat little thing it is too and very easy to work.

Audio quaility seems very acceptable but the range of the unit is extremely disapointing. The signal just makes it from one room to the next room and even that is hissy due to the low level. No signal at all makes it to the front room downstairs and there is nowhere to plug in a length of wire to use as an external radiator to improve things.

I'll have to look into what exactly is allowed for these low powered units but it might be that what I am getting is it. Fine if the unit is immediately next to the radio but useless for covering the house.
Old 29th Sep 2011, 4:59 pm   #9
paulsherwin

You may be able to modify the aerial arrangement to extend the range, though this would invalidate the CE certification and make the transmitter illegal to operate. The (unapproved) Linex mentioned above uses about a metre of wire as an aerial and covers the house and patio quite well though the signal is almost gone at the bottom of the garden.
Old 29th Sep 2011, 5:18 pm   #10
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Paul. I think the Linex will be next. I've been messing with the Belkin and twisting a piece of wire around it to act as a radiator improves things but still doesn't produce what I would call a useful signal throughout the house.
Old 29th Sep 2011, 7:14 pm   #11
Tom_I
Heptode

Extending the length of the cable between the source and the transmitter can make a dramatic difference with these devices - the cable acts as the aerial.

At least I assume it makes a difference - of course I've never tried it myself.

That said, I've not been particularly impressed with the Belkin Tunecast 2. A couple of years ago I bought a Cygnett CY3FMT. It's an obsolete model now, though other Cygnett models can be had from Amazon. I've found it significantly better than the Belkin in terms of both range and sound quality.
Closed Thread