UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Mar 2014, 12:48 pm   #1
PA3_KIP
Retired Dormant Member

Default A Pye RS4 or MP, but not quite the same

Hello to all,

I've got a radio wich is with no doubt a Pye.
But it's real identity remains a mystery. All iI know is the serial no. wich is MDH0046 and the label inside which says:

This Pye radio receiver is manufactured under the following letters or patents:
<list of patents> of wich Pye Ltd is prospictor and is sold with RESTRICTED LICENSE as follows.

This receiver is not to be sold or resold under the current retail price as stated in the current retail price lists of Pye Ltd, subject only from trading conditions from time to time authorized by Pye Limited with respect to sales to a genuine trade purchaser. Particulars on those trading condition can be obtained on application."

The sale or resale may not be accompanied by any gift, bonus, allowance or rebate. No agent or dealer is authorized to waive the restrictions expressed above. Any breach of these termes of license is subject to legal proceedings.
PYE LIMITED, CAMBRIDGE, ENGLAND

NOTE this set is designed for use with British valves marked "B.V.A." of the type specified in our printed instructions issued with this receiver.
ref. 71,087.

And a small label at the bottom of the cabinet wich says it was made for Great Britain, northern Ireland, Iere, the channel islands and the isle of Man and that you need a license from the post office.

Together with the dial makes me believe this is indeed a Pye radio. But wich type remains a mystery. I'll send a few pictures wich may help.

Yours,

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back open.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	90558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis w-o valves.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	90559   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIAL PYE (MP series).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	90560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front 1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	90561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front 2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	90562  

Old 24th Mar 2014, 2:42 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: A Pye RS4 or MP, but not quite the same

Isn't it remarkable that so many trade restrictions can be loaded onto one small radio?

A list of valve type numbers would help identification of the model

David
Old 24th Mar 2014, 4:18 pm   #3
jonnybear
Octode

I think you are right it looks very much like a PYE RS4, with a modified V2 which should be a VP4B pentode with a B7 base, looks like a mazda octal base in your photo probably a SP41 valve?.
John

Last edited by jonnybear; 24th Mar 2014 at 4:31 pm.
Old 24th Mar 2014, 4:25 pm   #4
PA3_KIP
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Isn't it remarkable that so many trade restrictions can be loaded onto one small radio?

A list of valve type numbers would help identification of the model

David
Hello David,

Things were different in those days (late 30s).
But when you read most manuals of high-end electronic equipment these they say more or less the same. Maybe in less formal words and no one bothers to read them nowadays.
But returning to the issue of identifying the set.
If you could help me indentify the radio I will gladly tell you everything I found out so far and be very gratefull if you could. Or try.

The valve line-up is.
A Mullard TH4B, a MAZDA SP41 and the other two are unmarked.
The speaker is from 'The Benjamin Electric Company Ltd'.
The serial no. is MHD0046

That's all know besides the label(s) inside. But nothing that's identify or states the type.

Erik
Old 24th Mar 2014, 4:40 pm   #5
jonnybear
Octode

Valve line up should be TH4B, VP4B, PEN4DD, DW4/350. Your line up is TH4B, SP41 (wrong valve) PEN4DD,DW4/350. as far as I am aware PYE never used Mazda Octal valves.
John
Old 24th Mar 2014, 4:51 pm   #6
PA3_KIP
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybear View Post
I think you are right it looks very much like a PYE RS4, with a modified V2 which should be a VP4B pentode with a B7 base, looks like a mazda octal base in your photo probably a SP41 valve?.
John
Hello John,

Indeed it is a MAZDA SP41.
If I would presume for now the the radio is indeed a RS4 the valve setup should be a TH4B, a VP4B, a Pen4DD and aDW4/350 or UU/120/350a. All from Mullard. And somehow (either during production, servicing or modification) they replaced the VP4B with a SP41.
They layout of the chassis also matches rouglhly to a RS4. But not exactly.

A RS4 was also my 2nd guess. But if it is is there any advantage in modifying it back to a VP4B?

Yours,

Erik
Old 24th Mar 2014, 6:04 pm   #7
jonnybear
Octode

Well the VP4B is a variable mu valve, whereas the SP41 as far as I am aware is not, so the AVC line would have little or no control of the gain of the valve.
John
Closed Thread