UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 25th Aug 2021, 8:39 am   #1
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default BT Tester 132B

I have part of the Tester 132B here, that's the case containing an oscillator and amplifier for cable tracing.

According to the label in the case lid, it should contain :

Oscillator No 87

Receiver Headgear No 16T Black

Two Probes No 5, Cord Connecting No 2/12A, Cord Test No 2/72AT for use with Oscillator No 87

Receiver Headgear No 16T Black

Amplifier No 109, Search Coil No 2

I have :

Oscillator No 87B. This has 2 Jack 84's on top, one 'Output' the other 'Monitor'. It appears the latter is for a Receiver Headgear 16T, signal on red and green. The output socket also has the signal on red and green, while white and blue are wired in series with the battery and have to be strapped in the associated Plug 420 to turn the thing on.

This oscillator is based round a potted module with 3 transistors on top, It appears to be an LC design (I can make out a pot core in the potting compound) with a transformer coupled push-pull output stage.

Amplifier No 109G. Input on an SO239 ('UHF') socket, output again on a Jack 84 for the Receiver Headgear 16T. Again output signal on red and green, blue and white are in series with the battery.

The amplfiier is based round a quad op-amp IC on a conventional PCB

One Receiver Headgeat 16T. Single earpiece witg a headband and pad. Wired to a Plug 420, as above.

A cable with a PL259 plug on each end.

A single probe with an SO239 socket wired to the probe tip. The last 2 parts could be connected to the input of the amplifier, but I can't see how the ground connections is made unless it's through the body of the user holding the metal part of the plug?

I am missing one of the Receivers but that is not a problem as I only have one head and having got one I know how it's wired, etc

So...

Does anyone know what the cables, etc, look like, how they're wired, etc.

In particular :

What is 'Cord Connecting 2/12A'. I assume a PL259 on one end to go into the amplifier input, what is on the other end?

Ditto for the 'Cord Test 2/72AT'. This time I guess a plug 420 on one end, blue and white strapped, signal coming out on red/green, but to what on the other end?

What is the 'Probe No 5'?

And the 'Search Coil No 2'. I would guess a PL259 on the end of the cable to connect to the amplifier, but what does the search coil look like? Electrical characteristics would be a bonus.
Closed Thread