UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jul 2018, 12:33 pm   #1
its ur aerial
Hexode

Default Hitachi Video disk player

In my loft I have a Hitachi Video disk player, circa 1983 ?? Complete with about 30 disks.
It worked when it was put there about 28 years ago.
Is their any collectors interest for this equipment.
Cant remember exactly, but I don't think it used a laser, like the Philips system.
Any comments appreciated.
Old 29th Jul 2018, 9:40 pm   #2
Mike Fulton
Pentode

Default Re: Hitachi Video disk player

They used a capacitive pickup as I recall and worked quite well but like so many other devices, looking for a market which didn't exist in the hope of creating one.
In the end they were giving away media in an abortive atempt to offload the players they had made to minimise their losses before dropping the format completely - so indicitive of the times.....
Old 30th Jul 2018, 10:58 pm   #3
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Its not a laser, but an actual stylus that picks up electric pulses if I'm not mistaken.

Fivos
Old 31st Jul 2018, 12:33 am   #4
hamid_1
Heptode

The Hitachi video disc system was called CED which stands for Capacitance Electronic Disc. It was developed and marketed by RCA in America.

Lots of information here: http://www.cedmagic.com/home/cedfaq.html

It was a flop, mainly because video cassette recorders became popular instead. The video disc players could not record, which made them a lot less versatile than a VCR, and the picture quality was no better.

CED players and discs are collectable. You can search ebay for sold CED items to get an idea of their value. The main problem is that the discs and players are fairly large and heavy, which makes them expensive to send by post, thus their value is somewhat limited.

After spending 28 years in your loft, your CED player may need a bit of attention to make it work again. I have two CED players; one of them needed a new loading belt to get it running.
Old 8th Aug 2018, 7:18 pm   #5
its ur aerial
Hexode

Thanks, a defective loading belt would be a dead cert, I vaguely remember the 3V30 belt fitting. Do you want another, I could deliver to Ruislip some time if interested.
Closed Thread