UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2023, 1:13 am   #1
Sparky67
Heptode

Default Motorola Mc Micro Ident

Hi all,

A family member kindly gave me what I think is a Moto Mc Micro and its Moto PSU which he apparently found in a skip. I am now trying to identify what it is exactly, freq band, power output, conventional or trunker, to see if it’s reusable.

The model number is MAU33YEA5G22AK and type number is 33YEA. Are there any Moto experts out there who can decode that for me please?

The PSU has its earth pin missing and tin foil in place of the mains fuse!

Martin
G4NCE
Old 29th Nov 2023, 12:25 pm   #2
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default Re: Motorola Mc Micro Ident

Have you tried here?

http://www.batlabs.com/micro.html

Rather afraid that what you have is a BandIII trunking set. Some good spares but probably not going to be useful. Different processor and audio to the more ordinary PMR versions.

Last edited by Jon_G4MDC; 29th Nov 2023 at 12:48 pm.
Old 29th Nov 2023, 1:02 pm   #3
Sparky67
Heptode

I have Jon but it doesn’t seem to tie up with the info on that site. I suspect it’s trunked and in band 3 as well, but would like positive identification before it goes in another skip.
Cheers,
Martin
Old 29th Nov 2023, 6:32 pm   #4
Mascot-22
Triode

The odd bit of the model number is the YEA , not come across that before apart from that it's a Hi band 12.5khz ,25watt unit. If its trunked there is normally a eeprom glued into the control board, What type of control head is fitted

Paul
Old 29th Nov 2023, 10:06 pm   #5
Sparky67
Heptode

Here are the boards and the front panel if it helps with an ID?

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2308.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	288991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2309.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	288992  
Old 30th Nov 2023, 10:54 am   #6
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

With that fat processor and EPROM it's a Band III trunking one for certain.

You might be able to modify the RF boards to some more useful frequency range but I have never heard of anyone making use of that control board. Front panel is of course useful.

I have a 6m one modified from Low Band. It was my regular drive time set in the early 2000s. It replaced a Pye MX295 which was my earlier 6m FM set. That was originally Band III as well and quite useless except it had varicap front end tuning which is helpful to cover all of 6m. Luckily the trunking board on a '295 can be removed easily if you revert to an ordinary channel switch.

Last edited by Jon_G4MDC; 30th Nov 2023 at 11:01 am.
Old 30th Nov 2023, 8:09 pm   #7
Mascot-22
Triode

Martin

I have had a dig in the shed and found a similar mc micro as the unit you have.
Looking at the photo of your control board it is Not a MPT1327 board but looks to be hybrid motorola trunk system mk 1or 2 which didn't have a lot in common with MPT1327. There was a system that operated in the west midlands up to the late 1990's as a single site system and used 162 & 157 mhz frequencys. You can get the radio into service mode by shorting the 2 test pads on the RH side to cpu chip at the same time as pressing the ptt and turning the radio on. If nothing else there are some useful bits to be salvaged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231130_182605.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	289055  
Old 30th Nov 2023, 11:35 pm   #8
Sparky67
Heptode

Thanks Paul,

The ‘on’ display is what I see as well so looks like it’s probably from the same system. Is this of any use to you before it goes? Drop me a pm or text over the weekend if you would like it.

Cheers,

Martin
Old 1st Dec 2023, 10:00 pm   #9
Sparky67
Heptode

Mods - the radio has now been fully identified as being off a proprietary hi-band Motorola trunked radio system which was installed in the West Midlands so the thread can be closed. Thanks.
Closed Thread