UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 16th Oct 2010, 9:12 am   #1
raditechman
Heptode

Default Radios at markets

Yesterday I had to walk along the northern end of Portobello Road. -That is up past the flyover, heading up toward Harrow Road.
This was not Saturday when all the tourists invade the area, nor was it the trendy end of the road where all the antique dealers congregate.
Just a few old stalls, or maybe just stuff being sold on the pavement.
I saw at least 5 valve wirelesses, in various states of decay.
I did not have a car with me, and I had gone to the area for an appointment, so did not purchase any.
Later that evening and whilst retiring for the night I kept thinking about those old radios on the street, no protection from the elements, where will they end up, should I have saved them!
At least when we go to one of our own auctions or sales we no that any unsold radio is at least in the hands of a caring seller, and will be looked after, but thinking of those old radios I wonder what will become of them if they do not attract a buyer, and what sort of person would buy one from a market stall.
Am I alone in the way I felt for those old radios, or do other members have the same caring feeling towards them?.

John
Old 16th Oct 2010, 10:02 am   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Radios at markets

A similar story can be told all over the country. Markets, antique centres, collectors fairs etc all yield knackered old radios in varying states of decomposition.

I am not sentimental over them. Most are common, technically uninteresting and often overpriced woodies of postwar origin and of interest only to habitual hoarders. So unless it's something rare, interesting and at a fair price I do a Dionne Warwick and 'Walk on by'.

We've had similar discussions here before and three types of people emerge therefrom. There's the habitual hoarders who also restore, the same but who don't restore and those who, perhaps for space reasons, only want a few sets in working order which get used as intended. I come in that last category and have a mere three or four sets awaiting attention.

Everybody's different though and I know we do have many members who do feel they should save every set which turns up. That's their choice so nothing I've said is meant as a criticism. I'm just of a practical mind and see little point in saving every old wreck, especially when there's a strong chance many will just be hoarded, forgotten and never fixed up.

I am, nonetheless, more inclined to save transistorised sets because they're easy and generally cheaper to repair and take up far less space. Transistor radios aren't the point of this thread though.

As Tony suggests in the next post, there's other things in life which warrant a higher priority.
Old 16th Oct 2010, 10:34 am   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

You are not alone. It is what they represent - a time when considerable manual effort went into the construction of each and every one. Not every radio can be saved, unfortunately.
But the good news is that they die an unknowing death, having no doubt served their purpose long ago; so in truth, though certainly I care about the fate of many old valve radios, I care far more about the fate of ill-treated and abandoned living creatures.
-Tony
Old 16th Oct 2010, 10:39 am   #4
ajs37
Heptode

Hi John - no, you are not alone! I remember feeling sorry for the radios - left out in all weathers - when I lived in London (as a student in the early 1970s) I would have a look at Portobello Road now and then - and I did rescue some old radios - can't remember what I did with them (I only have one or two left from those days) - I probably gave them to friends / left them in flats etc - well it was all sex, drugs and rock and roll, so those days are hazy memories now!

I also used to try the market near the Angel (can't remember the name of it 'camden passage' maybe?) - I had a girlfriend who lived there (Sally - lovely girl from Newport Pagnell) - I got one or two from there, but it was a bit up-market (expensive) for me.

I'm surprised they still have market stalls that sell radios there!
Andy
Old 16th Oct 2010, 10:45 am   #5
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

I go along with Aerodyne with my feeling about these sets. The problem with sets in antique centres and car boot sales is the vendor's view. Often the vendor knows little about them but recognises a popular name or thinks it looks old so must be valuable. They are satisfied to leave it on display for months or in Fairs and Boot Sales carry it around for weeks. What happens to them in the end I don't know.

Unfortunately I have seen some at car boot sales that are on display week after week or even months, gradually deteriorating.

When the vendor has some idea of the subject there is hope. Sometimes they are priced as if they were immaculate restored versions but after a while will accept that they will never sell at that price and will negotiate something more sensible and the set can be preserved.

The most fortunate case is at a car boot sale when someone needs the space and a sound but very grubby set is on it's way to the tip because it stopped working at some time and was just put in the loft or garage. These stand a very good chance of being restored and end with someone who appreciates them.
Old 16th Oct 2010, 10:51 am   #6
kalee20
Dekatron

I think the same - once, no doubt proudly displayed in a high-street dealers store, bought by a family chap after careful saving for several months, or perhaps as a Christmas bonus, carried home in a Morris 8, to give countless hours of family pleasure before gradually getting weak as 'that' capacitor started to leak, or the wave change switch became crackly, or perhaps superceded by the latest AM/FM model and relegated to the bedroom or study. And now, outside, uncared for and unloved.

But yes, I am with Tony Aerodyne, it is sad that many living creatures are brought into existence by humanity and then abandoned. Last year I was present alone at the birth of my foal - I pulled him out of the mare myself - and as he blinked around, through his still-wet eyelashes, looking at the field on the bright sunny August morning wondering what all this was about I reflected on this little creature fresh from the hand of God, entering our world with optimism, and trusting that I would always be on hand to save him from an unknown, miserable, and uncared-for end.
Old 16th Oct 2010, 12:33 pm   #7
Skywave
Rest in Peace

I'm of a similar sentiment to Kalee20 and Tony (Aerodyne), although what does move me deeply is to see old, disused houses that have fallen into total disrepair - or even worse, the scarred remains on a brick wall of where a home once stood. Homes, where generations of people lived out their lives with all the joys, trials and tribulations that Life brings. And chances are that, once upon a time, there would have been at least one old valve wireless in there as well - brick, wood, inhabitants and wireless - now all gone to dust.

Alas - the Waves of Time - the Grim Reaper.

Al. / Skywave
Old 16th Oct 2010, 12:36 pm   #8
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I feel sorry for them , as I do for many bits of old junk i see about including panelled doors in skips etc.Certainly if I saw a dumped one I would pick it up if poss .But otherwise unless its a certain age or interesting set , then I have to ignore it.
Old 16th Oct 2010, 2:19 pm   #9
high_vacuum_house
Octode

I see plenty of post war woodies at steam fair trade stands and all are in a rather dire condition.

This is not suprising as the other stuff on the stall is usually garden implements, rusty tools and old car bits and it all gets chucked in the back of a van together and then its off to the next steam rally.

The prices seem stupid as well. Usually £20 to £25 or even higher for a typical 50's wooden LW/MW 3 valves and a rectifier set with all the corners knocked off and the loudspeaker fabric stained!. I expect they go from rally to rally getting worse and worse until they are dumped.

Christopher Capener
Old 16th Oct 2010, 3:40 pm   #10
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireful3 View Post
The most fortunate case is at a car boot sale when someone needs the space and a sound but very grubby set is on it's way to the tip because it stopped working at some time and was just put in the loft or garage. These stand a very good chance of being restored and end with someone who appreciates them.
I have several that have come from car boots. One was a Pilot 75, the other was a GEC (forget the model). Both restored and working. Another was a Stella. Complete wreck but yealded lots of useful spares so in a way at least parts of it live on.

SB
Old 16th Oct 2010, 3:50 pm   #11
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodyne View Post
, I care far more about the fate of ill-treated and abandoned living creatures.
-Tony

Well Said!!!
Old 16th Oct 2010, 3:53 pm   #12
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
But yes, I am with Tony Aerodyne, it is sad that many living creatures are brought into existence by humanity and then abandoned. Last year I was present alone at the birth of my foal - I pulled him out of the mare myself - and as he blinked around, through his still-wet eyelashes, looking at the field on the bright sunny August morning wondering what all this was about I reflected on this little creature fresh from the hand of God, entering our world with optimism, and trusting that I would always be on hand to save him from an unknown, miserable, and uncared-for end.

Now that is a moment from God, it is moments like this that get you through the worse that life can throw at you. What a wonderful experience

Mike
Old 16th Oct 2010, 3:55 pm   #13
peetleetech
Retired Dormant Member

My wife pulled a fast one on me and is actually the reason I took on the project of restoring a valve set. Some people were lucky and learnt tranny's and valves at the same time, I was too lazy and only swotted transistors. The missus bought a display cabinet that had a Bush valve set in it. So, some good does come with buying an old set. My story is not uncommon. The point above, about spares is valid, however.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1why I can have it in the lounge.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	41519  
Old 16th Oct 2010, 4:21 pm   #14
The General
Hexode

Several years ago, (mid 80's I think, when I worked in London) I bought a wartime civilian set for a pound from a guy who looked like a tramp (and probably was one), sitting in a doorway in Portobello Road one Saturday.
He'd probably picked it up from someone's bin bag pile & taken it to the market.
I've still got it.....
Mark.
Old 16th Oct 2010, 11:12 pm   #15
Steve_P
Dekatron

Well I'm the cynical one. Present company excepted, I prefer Vintage Electronics to People any day.

I never pass a skip without a look inside it, and I have come across some interesting things. Skip diving is something of a hobby, even with one leg. I would rather take a vintage radio, TV etc home from a market than leave it. At least it won't get any worse while it's waiting for me to make it better.

This lyric is from the Mr. Mick LP by Stackridge and I think it sums it up...

'Once I was God said a busted-up steam radio
The whole of creation knew nothing till I told them so
I was news, I was Basie's blues
I shouted Armistice! The Goons never knew such applause
My voice was terrific! For days I was doing encores
But now I am tossed to the ground
Thown by those hands that applauded my sound
There anong dead things I lie
Cathode come home is my dream till I die...'

Says it all doesn't it,

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 17th Oct 2010, 8:45 am   #16
mark pirate
Dekatron

I recently saw a guy at my local car boot sale with about 20 or so radios from the mid thirties to late fifties, prices were reasonable, so I walked away with a nice thirties HMV set for £15.

I came back before it ended and he had 7 tatty old woodies and a couple of damaged bakelite sets, after some haggling, I got the lot for £10

Two sets are now on the roundtuit pile, the rest met with a sticky end, as they were too rough/worthless, I broke them up for spares.

It is pointless trying to save every set you come across, and I don't have the room to keep them, I now have several transformers, 'speakers, valves etc that will help a more worthy set to live again!

Mark
Old 17th Oct 2010, 1:07 pm   #17
Aerodyne
Octode

I doubt your veracity, Steve:
Quote:
Present company excepted, I prefer Vintage Electronics to People any day.
Knowing you from this forum as I do, I feel quite sure that your heart would be melted if you saw an abused child or animal. After all, that's what being human is all about, isn't it.
For the record, I am atheist - I do not believe in any God - but I do recognise the right of others to believe and if they see the hand of God in the creation of new life, I envy them, truly.
No offence ever intended to anyone; just my way of thinking.
-Tony
Old 17th Oct 2010, 1:32 pm   #18
Steve_P
Dekatron

Fair point Aerodyne. I would, that's true. But who is the only creature in the world which kills for sport or gratification??

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 17th Oct 2010, 1:52 pm   #19
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Tally Ho! chaps. Unfortunately the Moderators reckon the fox should be allowed to escape and so are humanely killing this thread

Please remove the Hunting Pink and change back into your workshop attire.
Closed Thread