UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2018, 11:48 am   #1
g4xxxstephen
Retired Dormant Member

Default Unusual Switch Panel

Just wondering if there's anyone that knows what this item might be? It looks to be perhaps 1950's (a guess) but I'm not sure if it's related to early radio or computing or what. It's approx 180mm x 115mm with no identifying marks. It's well built so it might be have military connections. Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panel1.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	155205   Click image for larger version

Name:	panel2.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	155206  
Old 9th Jan 2018, 3:22 pm   #2

Default Re: Unusual Switch Panel

Four twelves and a multiplier of three, most odd. I want to know too.

Old 9th Jan 2018, 6:06 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

My first thought was that it was 12 numbers, each between 0 and 29999. But I don't recognise what it was for.
Old 9th Jan 2018, 6:21 pm   #4
paulsherwin

It does have an early 50s computing look to it, but that's just a guess.
Old 9th Jan 2018, 6:41 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I recall vaguely-similar-looking things being found 'under the cover' on old electromechanical punched-card machines.

[pre-computer there were a vast range of punch-card machines designed to perform a whole slew of different tasks - sorting, collating, searching, simple arithmetic and logic].
Old 9th Jan 2018, 9:52 pm   #6
philthespark
Pentode

Given that each set of "switches" has only one set of terminals I wonder what is inside it? possibly resistors?
My only thought was some kind of early "programmable controller", if say it was wired back to a set of rotary switches then worked like this.
Switch A, controls the bank marked 0,1,2. another switch controlled the other banks, so if say you select 0 on switch 1 and 4 on switch 2 then you'd get different resistance values than if you selected say 2 on switch 1 and 1 on switch 2. maybe the different values made the machine do different things depending on what was selected. I've seen some really weird stuff from back in the day before microchips, it was very clever stuff but you had to wonder about the mind of the inventors, still they do say that genius is only 1 step away from madness.
Old 11th Jan 2018, 11:46 am   #7
g4xxxstephen
Retired Dormant Member

Hi
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I've checked as best I can and there does not appear to be any other components inside, just the switches. I seem to remember it came to me in a box with some aircraft parts dating back to 1940's but I'm sure it cannot be related to that.
Old 11th Jan 2018, 12:03 pm   #8
Station X

It looks like there are only three PCB tracks associated with the 0-1-2 column and ten tracks associated with the 0 to 9 columns. It would be interesting to know how these are connected to the switches, if indeed they are simple switches.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 11th Jan 2018, 1:34 pm   #9
ms660
Dekatron

Just a wild guess, all 0's, 1's, 2's, etc in each column are connected together, slider connection at the back of the panel, sliders are ground/chassis

Lawrence.
Old 11th Jan 2018, 1:58 pm   #10
Station X

If I've worked it out correctly, the number of combinations is (10^48)*(3^12).

I don't think there's enough connections to represent all these conditions.

Perhaps the board is designed to be viewed visually and the electrical connections serve a secondary function?

Old 11th Jan 2018, 10:05 pm   #11
radiotechnician
Pentode

The brass terminal studs are similar to those used on telecom
apparatus here.
Old 11th Jan 2018, 10:55 pm   #12
AndiiT
Octode

Hi, unfortunately I can't help with what it is or was used for but as the letters only go up to 'M' I would guess that there may be a similar panel with the letters 'N' to 'Z'.

Just a thought, presuming a full set of letters of the alphabet might the switches have been used to create some kind of "secret" code perhaps to be sent over telegraph wires/equipment, with decoding at the far end? (Maybe I watch too many spy films )

Regards

Andrew
Old 11th Jan 2018, 11:25 pm   #13
The Philpott
Dekatron

I too have seen too many spy filums. My first thought was the same as yours, this is Board 1, and Board 2 is missing in action. The sheer amount of crusted verdigris suggests a marine environment, and the lack of any other identification marks could be significant. It does look like a small part of a basic encryption system..Probably peacetime, it doesn't look complex enough for wartime unless it was used in a non-critical (or closed circuit) role.
Old 12th Jan 2018, 9:15 am   #14
g4xxxstephen
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks again
I did send the same photographs at the end of last year to be checked by Bletchley Park and they came back last week with a "not known" reply. He did think it might be early computing related so suggested the National Museum of Computing - which I have not tried yet, or to post on one of the Vintage Electronics forums. If I get a chance at the weekend I'll see if I can dismantle the panel without causing any damage and I'll take some pics of the internal construction.
Old 12th Jan 2018, 10:35 am   #15
davidw
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post
Just a thought, presuming a full set of letters of the alphabet might the switches have been used to create some kind of "secret" code perhaps to be sent over telegraph wires/equipment, with decoding at the far end? (Maybe I watch too many spy films)
I had a similar thought Andi but there's not a full set. The 'I' is missing so presumably the 'O' would be missing also, confusion with '1' and '0', or am I over thinking it and there is a much simpler explanation?

Last edited by davidw; 12th Jan 2018 at 10:36 am. Reason: spelling.
Old 12th Jan 2018, 12:13 pm   #16
The Philpott
Dekatron

Didn't spot the lack of letter 'I'

I now think it might be a control panel for a backlit desk mounted or wall mounted map grid, a more sophisticated modus operandi than the well known fighter command table where little wooden models or blocks were poked around with sticks. The multiple columns of letters might operate lamps of different colours behind the milk-glass grid. Could be continental which might explain why it hasn't been identified yet.
Old 12th Jan 2018, 1:37 pm   #17
Station X

The letter "switches" appear to move over a plain background with no electrical contacts visible. If the background moved with the switch it would intrude into adjacent switch windows.

I wonder if the electrical connections are to backlight the panel itself?

Some tests with an ohmmeter whilst moving the switches could prove interesting.

From the picture it's very difficult to see where the PCB tracks go to. They all seem to head for the top of the board.

Old 12th Jan 2018, 1:40 pm   #18
McMurdo
Dekatron

The nature of the switches suggests it isn't meant to be operated very often, they look a bit fiddly. It looks more like a vintage version of DIP switches.
Old 12th Jan 2018, 1:49 pm   #19
pmmunro
Octode

Possibly for programmable machine tools?

PMM
Old 12th Jan 2018, 2:03 pm   #20
Station X

Train Describer?

Closed Thread