UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2017, 10:36 am   #1
mole42uk
Nonode

Default Xenon flash project

Here's a little puzzle:

I have a xenon flash assembly, probably out of an alarm system. It has the usual big electrolytic to help fire the tube. If it's connected to a suitable DC voltage, it flashes regularly. The tube will fire reliably at anything from about 5V up to 10V, the higher the voltage, the faster the flash rate.

What I wonder is if I can work out a way to randomly vary the flash rate so that it flashes at a non-regular rate. The oscillator is a typical transformer plus capacitor thing, there's a neon tube in there which I think will flash over to fire the xenon tube.

This isn't anywhere close to an area of my expertise and I'm probably barking (at the wrong tree or mad, take your choice) but any ideas would be interesting.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 18th Jul 2017, 11:07 am   #2
JacKam_
Pentode

Default Re: Xenon flash project

Use a few neon bulbs to make a random flasher. Then use one of their outputs connected to xenon tube for ignition.

J
Closed Thread